Leftover yeast after pour...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaybrewingco

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the leftover yeast that is left in the bottle..

Most people say to leave the last little bit of the pour in the bottle so the sediment and yeast and such gets left at the bottom.

However, Allagash White has directions on the side of the bottle to swirl around the bottle and dump the leftover yeast back into the beer.

For my homebrew, I go with the Allagash route and usually swirl the bottle and dump the remaining yeast back into the pint glass after the pour. Is this good or bad? and also, what does everyone else do?

I do that with wheat beers, but not other styles unless there is very little yeast/sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Wheat beers you are supposed to do that, yes. A yeasty flavor can be desired. American Wheats generally leave that as an optional step.

As for the rest of the beer styles it's generally not done since yeast isn't a desired flavor in that beer. Will it harm you? No. Do it if you like it, otherwise don't. Simple as that.

I generally swirl it around and dump it into my mouth (oh dear, that begs to be taken out of context). I can see how it'd be desirable in wheats to keep it in suspension, though.

I usually don't swirl it (that's usually besides wheats, a purview of Belgian ales) I just drink that last slug out of the bottle after I've done the shoulder pour.

Back