Leftover hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDrum

Reaction score
Hey fellow homebrewers,

Do you usually have leftover hops after brewing? What do you do with them? How do you find recipes for them?

I had a small amount of hops 1.5 - 2 oz and a couple others I hadn't used in some time. So I looked at the hop flavor descriptors through some together, averaged out the AA, and their now waiting to be used. I kept track of the exact amount and AA of each, so if it works it can be repeated. Except I would have buy all of them to make that happen again.

^As do I^, but inevitably there will be some leftovers at some point.
I try to find a fit for them so I don't have old hops in the freezer. If nothing else I'll commit such to bittering as a 60 minute addition pretty much erases any characters a hop strain might otherwise convey.
Right now I have a few ounces of Apollo that will end up as an early addition this weekend...

Cheers!

I had a small amount of hops 1.5 - 2 oz and a couple others I hadn't used in some time. So I looked at the hop flavor descriptors through some together, averaged out the AA, and their now waiting to be used. I kept track of the exact amount and AA of each, so if it works it can be repeated. Except I would have buy all of them to make that happen again.

Do you usually buy in 1-2oz packages or buy in bulk? Where do you buy your hops from? I'm trying to use up my leftovers.

I create all my own recipes so I always have "leftovers". I like Farmhouse Brewing Supply for their 4 ounce packages. I often use 2 ounces or more of the same hop so that gives me enough without having a lot left when buying by the pound.

I look for sales, buy what is cheap, use charts for substitutions to use the hops I have on hand. If I find a special recipe that I want to do I will then buy the exact hops needed.

Vacuum bagged and frozen they last a long time. Most of mine are at least a year old to as many as 5 years old. The beers are still coming out fine. I do use a little more than called for.

I usually don't have leftover hops, but when I do, I store them in the freezer and use them with the first chance I get.

I shop for my brew day a few days before at the LHBS. I design my recipe to use hops in 1 ounce increments so I use up whatever I buy.

That takes more careful planning than I do and also another trip to the LHBS.

I like to buy in bulk to save some money and also so that I don't have to go to the LHBS to get the ingredients for a recipe. There have been a few times when I got up and said "I think I'll brew today". A few minutes on Beersmith and out to the garage to get the grains and hops. I can also do my bittering hops at 60 minutes even if I only need .25 ounce and have no "leftovers".

I have been making dry hopped cold brew coffee. 5 grams of hops and 90 grams of coffee.

Nice and refreshing!

I usually don't have leftover hops, but when I do...…….

b3akx.jpg

Back