Left over hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewjitsu

Reaction score
So i was sealing my hops with my food saver bags and got a wild hair and tried sealing the hops in the original bag... it worked! If somebody already did this sorry for the repeat.

Hmmm....for this to be true, you must have vacuum-sealed an unopened packet of hops.

Which just raises more questions...

Cheers! ;)

No i opened the magnum used .52 oz and food saved seal the hop union bag.

Nice. Its not just pinching pennies here but also saving time bc the bag is already labeled. At my LHBS they give a discount on half pounds, not just by the pound. I have bought and used what I needed for that brew and sealed in a bag and used a few Oz later and resealed up in the same bag. I'm guessing many do the same thing. Reusing the stock packaging is great.

I've been doing this with hop bags for a long time, also. I also seal dry malt extract bags after I take part out for a yeast starter or original gravity boost. It makes sense to me.
Cheers!

Food Saver requires a textured material in order to draw a vaccum. I've tried it with hop union bags before and it seals, but it usually gets only a little bit of the air out before it decides to seal, which it does fine. Appears to be what you have here.

I had the same problem however i creased the bag along the sides and the food saver pulled out all the air and sealed it completly even with the flap on the back. I can show a video of the bag.

Back