Left over hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papab

Reaction score
Hello everybody
I would like your opinion/input about this IPA recipe, Any opinion would be greatly appreciated, (even if you tell me that I'm loosing it) I've got some left over hops from previous batches and I would like to use them all, I'm not really good at designing recipes, so here we go
10 Gallon batch

20# Pale Malt 2 row
2# Toasted malt
2# Caramel Crystal 60
2# melanoiden Or special aromatic
1 # honey at flame out

mash around 154 degrees for 60 min

1 oz cascade @ 60
1oz centennial @ 60
1oz fuggle @ 60
1oz Golding east kent @ 60
1oz simcoe @ 60
1oz willianette @ 60

Safale -05
Thank You in advance, Cheers
Mike

Why only 60 minute additions? I would definitely use some of those near the end...

I would bitter (at 60 minutes) with one (probably Willamette) and move the rest to the last 10-15 minutes. Save the cascade and centennial for dry hops. With the crystal 60 and the melanoiden, and the 154* mash temp, this is going to be very malty so keep that in mind.

I agree, I wouldn't throw them all in at 60. So much of the aroma comes by adding in the last few minutes. The Fuggle and Willamette will get completely lost here.

Yes, you are loosing it! That is an awful hop schedule.

60 minute hops go in at the start of the boil, and are in for 60 minutes of boiling. They mainly contribute bitterness, with little to no flavor or aroma.

Even in my biggest of beers I wouldn't use any where near 6 ozs at 60.

For flavor and aroma hops are added at 15 minutes to 0 minutes.

You have a mix of American and English hops. Not sure they go too well together.

Everyone hits it right on. That many 60 minute additions will lead to a very bitter beer with little to no hop flavor and no hop aroma.

Do 1 or 2 of them at 60 minute, then move the rest to the last 15 minutes. So maybe some at 15, some at 10, some at 5, some at flameout..something like that.

Back