Left my cider out too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahade

Reaction score
Need help

I left 5 gallons of cider out in our basement for 5 days (sealed in 1 gallon containers). The basement is about 65 degrees. The cider has been fermenting on its own and all the containers were bulging out. I put it all in my 5 gallon bucket "as is" and added a package of 4766 cider wyeast. Will the yeast I added take over the wild yeast? Should I have any concerns about the cider? It was fresh from the orchard and only uv treated.

This has been fermenting wild for 5 days already? The 4766 has no chance now. It will grow, but the flavor will be dominated by whatever species have already had a go. I find wild-fermented cider delicious and tend to make more naturally fermented batches. Let it go and see what happens.

its very likely lactobacillus, occurs naturally on the skins and in the cider.

Like the person above stated, let it ferment, remove the kham yeast (looks like scum/mold) off the top and you'll still have a sour cider. Lacto can ferment sugars yeast cant so it'll get dry.. so you may want to stop it at some point with a C-tab.

I used 007 and it went to .094, but I pitched the day it was pressed.

Worst case scenario you have a ton of Apple Cider vinegar..

Like the person above stated, let it ferment, remove the kham yeast (looks like scum/mold) off the top and you'll still have a sour cider. Lacto can ferment sugars yeast cant so it'll get dry.. so you may want to stop it at some point with a C-tab.

Its likely a whole mix of things. Although kham, or a translucent/lightly colored bacterial pellicle on the surface is different than mold on the surface. If it ends up being mold, it's all gotta go.

Need help

I left 5 gallons of cider out in our basement for 5 days (sealed in 1 gallon containers). The basement is about 65 degrees. The cider has been fermenting on its own and all the containers were bulging out. I put it all in my 5 gallon bucket "as is" and added a package of 4766 cider wyeast. Will the yeast I added take over the wild yeast? Should I have any concerns about the cider? It was fresh from the orchard and only uv treated.

What I'm concerned about is how it fermented if it was UV treated. The UV treatment should have killed all the wild yeast and stopped any fermentation until you added live yeast. Could you clear this up for us please?

What I'm concerned about is how it fermented if it was UV treated. The UV treatment should have killed all the wild yeast and stopped any fermentation until you added live yeast. Could you clear this up for us please?

UV treatment will kill any UV-sensitive pathogenic bacteria in the cider. Most yeasts and non-pathogenic bacteria are fairly UV resistant.

Profezzur said:

Not sure if it was truly UV treated. I asked the local orchard where I got it from if they add any preservatives. A worker there said no just UV. They do a huge amount of business on the weekend and they had a lot of cider sitting out not refrigerated. I had planned to start it that day but something came up.

Thanks all for the help. This is all new to me.

Lactobacillus doens't generally produce much CO2, so I doubt that is the visible fermentation. It may be going on at the same time as a wild yeast ferment, if there is oxygen present (the plastic jugs may be oxygen-permeable). Lacto is oxygen-dependent.

Cider usually goes dry whether lacto is active or not, because apple juice contains only simple sugars (almost all fructose) which are easily metabolized by yeast, and the alcohol content usually does not get high enough to inhibit most cultured yeasts. As you found out with your 007 cider!

Latest posts

Back