Leaving iodaphore mixture in a corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
I've seen the "film" that develops when you leave starsan in a keg to long, which can be removed with vinegar.

Is there a similar situation if you leave iodaphore in a keg to long?

Do you mean PBW instead of StarSan? You shouldn't leave StarSan in S.S. as it's acidic and could potentially harm the keg. Never seen it happen, but... Iodofor can be stored in S.S. for a long time.

Bossbrew said:
Do you mean PBW instead of StarSan? You shouldn't leave StarSan in S.S. as it's acidic and could potentially harm the keg. Never seen it happen, but... Iodofor can be stored in S.S. for a long time.

No I meant starsan, I left it in a keg to long and a rough film formed. Used vinegar, letting it soak for 2 hours to get it off.

I've seen the "film" that develops when you leave starsan in a keg to long, which can be removed with vinegar.

Is there a similar situation if you leave iodaphore in a keg to long?

Stonger iodophor solutions will settle out a bit over time leaving some brown residue but it's water soluble. Iodophor is not corrosive like other cleansers/sanitizers.

No I meant starsan, I left it in a keg to long and a rough film formed. Used vinegar, letting it soak for 2 hours to get it off.

Wow, I've never seen that with StarSan, but I never leave it in kegs for long. I know several people that leave iodofor in kegs for a long time, at the correct solution strength of course.

Cheers!
Dave

Back