Leaving Alaska; A Very Bittersweet Decision (longish post)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subsailor

Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
Reaction score
We have just about a month before we move. When I first moved here, I never thought I would leave but circumstances change and Family is still very important.
I first came here in 1989. I visited for 3 weeks that summer. It was a great vacation and as I was fixing to return to South Carolina, I felt homesickness for the very first time in my life. Mind you, I left home in Michigan to serve the US Navy Submarine Fleet about 13 years prior. I had been to several countries and many states but I was feeling homesick for Alaska. I had only been there for 3 weeks! I told my brother, when I retire from the Service I was moving there. He convinced me I needed to experience it in winter before making a decision like that. So I returned that very winter for 2 weeks at the end of February, 1990. I visited many times from that point, at different times of the year, until I retired in 1995. I went to catch up with Family and Friends in the Midwest for a year and moved to Alaska in summer of ’97 and I’ve been here since.
I met my Wife here; she’s been Alaskan since 1984. We have had a great life together, many adventures and experiences. I have been to many of the villages and all of the large cities. I have met wonderful people from multiple tribes. Truthfully, I have not personally met a bad Alaskan. Our Children grew up here and although they said they didn’t want to come back, they keep returning and telling us how they miss this Great Land.
I have hunted, fished, foraged and explored. I have seen beauty and ruggedness, vast empty tundra and deep leg sucking bogs. I have endured endless hordes of mosquitos and no-see-ums, so thick they turn your exposed skin black. I have seen grizzlies, wolves, lynx, moose, caribou, Dall sheep and more out in the bush. Whales, walrus, seals, sealions and others in Alaska's chilling waters.
Alaska, she gets in your blood, your very soul and she grabs you and lets you know how small you are in this World at the same time how wonderful it is. Alyeska’s incredible beauty and grandeur; from the heights of majestic Mt. McKinley to the numerous seaside fjords and glaciers. Her colorful and diverse peoples and the many secrets she still holds for each us to find on our own!
I shall surely miss you Alaska! I love the lessons and memories you have provided me. It is with great sadness that I must move on but you will be in my heart always!

My opinion is that no where is more important than your family.

Safe travels to you.

That sounds like a difficult decision. I've made a life in a few different places and at time the nostalgia and feelings of what-if can be overwhelming. I do believe that people are much more important than place. All the best as you begin writing your next chapter!

Life changes can be very difficult. While you can mourn your previous home, it is great to have new experiences and be closer to family.

While I am not a big fan of Alaska as a place to live for me, I do consider it's majestic beauty and the one of a kind wilderness is something to behold. I would definitely feel the same way as you if situations required me to leave my beloved UP.

of course I'm a big wimp who spends the worst part of the winter in South Texas, so what do I know? ;)

Alaska is the only state I have not set foot in. Reading this post makes me want to even more. Always a little afraid to go as I always figured I would get hooked. I like big places.

What was your job in the nuke force? I did my JO tour and decided it was not for me, but it was the best bunch of people I have ever worked with, especially everyone that worked in the back of the boat.

Weaponeer (Conehead) I started as an FTB, Fire Control Tech (Ballistics) and was there when they consolidated all of us into MT, Missile Techs.
I didn't realize how much I loved that job until I left it but isn't that true for many of us?

Oh, you were one of those forward pukes :) And you know I say that with a smile and laugh.

Fire Control Tech explains all the boomers on your list. I was on SSBN 731 B

Best wishes and prayers on your travels and hope it doesn't cause too much of a lag in your posting. I have enjoyed your posts.

If your travels bring you near Fort Collins CO let me know. The beer is on me.

To give up so much for his family says a lot about a man. :mug:
If you come through the Missoula, MT area & have the time, I'll buy you a beer or 3. Regards, GF.

Back