Leave co2 tank on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Do I leave the co2 tank on the whole time the beer is in the fridge. Once the beer is carbed and ready to serve. Are we suppose to leave the tank on.

i usually turn mine off, and so far, it has worked. i too was wandering that when i first started, but i was worried that the gas might leak out, so i would turn it on, have a few pints at night, and then turn it back off. one night i forgot to turn it on, and the beer was coming out fine, so i started leaving it off, and it has worked out pretty good so far.

Leave it on. If you pour a beer with it off, that would be fine, but it will eventually equalize to the lower pressure and you'd start to lose carbonation. Plus, sometimes doing that means that you get some foaming as the pressure tries to equalize inside the keg.

If you're going to be gone on vacation, you can turn it off if you want. I don't. I don't have any leaks, either, though!

Just spend the extra 10-15 minutes spraying and quadruple spraying every joint and listen for gas and look for bubbles. No leaks, no need to turn it off.

You can find charts to tell you what pressure it should be set at for a paticular style, I leave mine at around 10psi. If you turn it off, your beer will pour fine until there is not enough pressure to dispense. if your head space becomes greater than the pressure in the liquid (as the keg gets empty), your CO2 will come out of suspension and fill the "dead" space, your beer will basically start to go flat again.

if you constantly have 10lbs of pressure in the empty part of the keg, the beer will hold 10lbs CO2 in suspension..

I may have botched the explanantion of this, but I'm tired. didnt want to get too scientific.

Back