Leave Caribou Slobber in Primary or Transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitsuj80

Reaction score
I was wondering if I should transfer my most recent extract batch of Caribou Slobber (American Brown Ale) from NB or if I should just let it sit in primary for the duration. I used Super Moss with ten minutes left in the boil so I am not sure how that effects things as well. Does it hurt the flavor by sitting on it for the duration of the fermentation? All of my previous beers I have transferred but have heard that it is usually not necessary and raises the risk of contamination. I have it fermenting in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for 1 week now. Thanks.

Leave it in the primary for a month. You and your beer will appreciate it. Sitting on the yeast cake will HELP your brew. Course, more than a couple of months and it can start to get ugly.

So the addition of Super Moss with 10 minutes remaining in the boil will not affect the taste? Like I said in my previous post I have not used any sort of clarifying agent before and was not sure if there was anything that I needed to be aware of. Thanks.

If you learn to leave your beer in the fermenter for a longer period of time, like 3 to 4 2eeks, you may find clarifiers to be unnecessary.

Thanks for the advice. So it shouldn't affect anything this time though if I was to leave it in the primary for the whole fermentation being that I used Super Moss?

I'm looking at making this kit in the next few weeks. Should the secondary be skipped all together and primary only for a month then bottle?

When I did the Caribou Slobber I left it in the primary for 5 weeks then put it in the keg and carbed it for a little over a week and it turned out awesome. So far it has been my favorite kit I have brewed.

I recently brewed the CS kit. I was too lazy to transfer to secondary, so I left it in the primary for an extra week or so. It was in the primary for 23 days prior to bottling and was fully carbonated 7 days later. Mine has a somewhat dry finish in your mouth. I'm not sure if this is typical for this kit, but I think it's good. I wasn't a big brown ale kind of guy before brewing this one, but despite that, I enjoy it. I'm expanding my horizons.

Back