Least toxic sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to tell you, it is sanitizer, it is SUPPOSED to be toxic.

The whole point is to kill things. After diluting, it should only kill microorganisms. If you drink the undiluted stuff, well it will probably kill you too. Bleach, StarSan, boiling water will all sanitize and all are toxic to you too...

Chef Jay

Star san is phosphoric acid based. It's a big ingredient in most soft drinks, if that tells you anything. Just don't drink it undiluted and it's not going to hurt you. Think of it like deoderized vinegar.

I hate to tell you, it is sanitizer, it is SUPPOSED to be toxic.

The whole point is to kill things. After diluting, it should only kill microorganisms. If you drink the undiluted stuff, well it will probably kill you too. Bleach, StarSan, boiling water will all sanitize and all are toxic to you too...

Chef Jay

Just read this, and figured I'd give a friendly reminder: bleach will damage your precious SS equipment. I'm sure everyone knows this already, but just in case... Also, I wish you luck on finding a less toxic sanitizer. I figure that with everything that's in the air, water, food, and everything else we consume the minute amounts of sanitizer left over in my brewing equipment isn't a concern. However, if there were a safer, and equally effective, product I would use it.

The SDS (formerly MSDS) for Iodophor classifies it as being far less hazardous than the SDS for StarSan.

Use it at the specified concentration of 12.5 ppm and you will be fine. It is "no rinse" at that concentration. It is also measurably more effective in cold water than in warm or hot water. I.E., use cold water.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe these to be the various official (legal?) classification levels:

Sanitizer: Kills 99.9%
Disinfectant: Kills 99.99%
Sterilization: Kills 100%

Don't quote me on this either, but I believe that for Iodophor to achieve this at their recommended contact time requires:

Sanitizer: 12.5 ppm
Disinfectant: 25 ppm
Sterilization: 50 ppm (I'm least confident of this one)

Only 12.5 ppm is "no rinse". The higher concentrations are certainly not. A similar situation would be evident for StarSan.

Martin Bruingard stated in a different thread that Iodophor kills more types of organisms than does StarSan, and for that reason he has returned to using it as his primary sanitizer. See the #8 post at this thread location: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=600089

Latest posts

Back