Least favorite thing about Homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why you get a handy dandy bottler for bottling day!

View attachment 340416

We do it reversed style. Swmbo purges and caps, I fill them.

BTW, you should look into doing that thing where you attach a bottle wand directly to the bucket with like 1" of tubing. Boom, 1-handed bottling. I can have a beer while im filling

Not a fan of provel?

I live in the hometown of Domino's and I can say there's way other better pizzas to be had around here lol.

I want to try some provel pizza though, it looks good

Oh man heck yeah! Imo's is great! Provel pizza is my favorite!

Moops! That's an awesome idea! May have to do that!

How do you delabel beer bottles? I just leave my labels on. I figured it would just make a mess to try to get the labels off.

Soak in PBW and most fall right off. If they don't come off easily, then they are not worth my effort to get them off and into the recycle bin they go.

Cleaning at the end of a long brew day by far is the worst part otherwise I love everything else. Cleaning bottles, bottling, making starters they're all positives, cleaning up means it's all over for that time then I think what can I brew next.

cleaning up means it's all over for that time then I think what can I brew next.

I think I'm weird in that I find cleaning after a hard brew/bottle day somehow more cathartic than the brewing/bottling. It's like a release of all the tension and stresses of the day. I know that soon all the gear will be dripping dry, awaiting its next task, and I can rest easy for a week while I recharge my batteries and get ready for the next batch.

The dry reptile hand-skin after oxi-clean, star-san, and wet/dry cycles for a couple days in a row sucks, though. Moisturizers are my friend. Maybe I should get some of those nifty elbow length Blichmann gloves.

Picking up dog poop so im not draging my extension cord and hose threw it. The worst is when I miss a pile.

10-4. I'm a ways out from being able to do that. But one day in the future possibly. Thanks for the info bud!

There's no law that says you have to buy everything at once. You can use a free fridge from Craig's List, a keg, a tank w/ regulator and a picnic tap to get started. Buy a few things as you get the money.

There's no law that says you have to buy everything at once. You can use a free fridge from Craig's List, a keg, a tank w/ regulator and a picnic tap to get started. Buy a few things as you get the money.

Great idea Charlie! I do love me some CL! I bet I could find some good deals to get it done!

Waiting to brew. Ever since kids were brought into the equation it's harder and harder to find time to brew up a batch. My wife is down with me brewing whenever I can but having the time is the main issue. We just moved too so unpacking and getting settled is taking up all my free time at the moment; that doesn't help.

Once I have the time to brew I'd agree and say the clean up. Even if I clean as I go as much as I can there's still always a bunch of stuff at the end I have to clean up. The last few times the only chance I had to brew was really late at night. Once the beer was in the fermentor it would be around 3am and all I wanted to do is go pass out. So, a lot of stuff gets left for tomorrow... then tomorrow turns into next weekend...

Bobeer, you're on point with the "waiting to brew" part that sucks bad! I've been ready to brew now for a couple weeks, but time has been kicking my butt.

Hopefully this weekend maybe, but it's looking doubtful.

Bobeer, you're on point with the "waiting to brew" part that sucks bad! I've been ready to brew now for a couple weeks, but time has been kicking my butt.

Hopefully this weekend maybe, but it's looking doubtful.

I'm happy someone else feels my pain! I've picked up grain before and it's sat there for weeks until I had the energy to stay up half the night to brew.

Here's to burning the midnight oil. :mug:

I'm happy someone else feels my pain! I've picked up grain before and it's sat there for weeks until I had the energy to stay up half the night to brew.

Here's to burning the midnight oil. :mug:

No doubt man. I am far from a rich man, let alone financially sufficient, so when I have an extra 30 bucks or so to brew a batch it burns a hole in my pocket until I can run up to my lhbs and get some grain.

Unfortunately, here lately, I just don't have the time and it's really killing my mojo lol! Now, I'm going to have to take that 30 bucks and bury it in a coffee can in the back yard until I have time to brew otherwise it'll be gone on some useless crap like a bill or something!

I hate the small frustrations. Like a stuck sparge. Luckily, it is very rare. Or like when a small but important part breaks. Today I was pushing an airlock into a stopper, and it cracked and cut my hand. Very frustrating. I would pay $10 each for a decent airlock. Why are they so cheaply made?

Mike

Waiting for the wort to boil already!:mad: Even with propane seems to take a long time..And then comes the inevitable boil over!..Oh well, maybe I am just being too anxious on the boil and when it kicks in am slow on the dial to adjust the flame to prevent that dreaded boil over..One day I WILL get it! :)

I have no easy access to CO2 so i have to bottle which is a PITA!

If your a relatively heavy drinker go with kegs or a big system which will still suck if you bottle!

Having to wait so long between batches...you take that first sip of your new batch, can taste what needs to change in your recipe, yet won't get to know for sure for weeks or months.
Not like cooking where you can taste it, throw in a pinch of this or that and have it "fixed" in minutes.

Clean-up has always been my least favorite task. Bottling was up there as well but since I now keg, that is no longer an issue.
36.gif

This just popped into my head, but I think one of my least favorite things about homebrewing is when a batch doesn't turn out like I hope or just doesn't turn out. It really is a bummer. I guess my expectations are pretty high.

I can't remember what I put as mine... but sitting there waiting for my wort to cool in an ice batch suuuucks... by that point in the day, I'm ready to get that beautiful wort into a fermentor and let the yeast do it's thing!

My least favorite thing about homebrewing right now is that I recently moved and can't brew right now. All homebrew equipment is in a storage unit. Grains and yeast are here, but nothing else....

Bought a much smaller house and am building a "Man Cave" but it is seeming to take forEVER! Slab should be in within the next 2 weeks, then I have to get my uncle up here so we can get the thing built..

I'm almost to the point of buying a "starter kit" just so I can get to brewing in the meantime. haha

My least favorite thing is having 5 kegs filled, several cases bottled and want to make more beer but "no room at the inn".

I either need to 1) brew less; 2) get friends to help me drink this or; 3) drink more.

I'm kinda partial to #3, personally. :).

Starting. WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING! Just kidding. Just brewing when I'm hungover! Hehehe!

Waiting...:( Two months in and I still haven't been able to try a finished homebrew. It's my fault though. Should have started with gravities less than 1.100. Having trouble getting them to carbonate and when they do, it's a long haul for them to bottle condition. At least there's an excuse to brew another batch in the mean time.

Last edited:
Having someone not like what you made. Conversely, seeing the enjoyment/satisfaction from others when they love it, is my favorite part of the hobby.

Waiting...:( Two months in and I still haven't been able to try a finished homebrew. It's my fault though. Should have started with gravities less than 1.100. Having trouble getting them to carbonate and when they do, it's a long haul for them to bottle condition. At least there's an excuse to brew another batch in the mean time.

Before I started brewing, I would often go for the biggest, baddest beer on the shelf. I liked the in-your-face flavors and aromas of big, challenging brews but there was probably an element of machismo in there as well. I still love a big, bold kick-you-in-the-teeth beer from time to time, but since I started brewing I've developed a much greater appreciation for more standard 4-6% beers, not least because they're cheaper and easier to make and can be ready much faster than big beers. My big beers usually age for about a year before I start popping bottles, and they often continue to get better with age. In comparison, I drink the first bottles of most of my standard brews within a month of brewday and they're already great.

I'm a patient man and don't mind waiting before I taste the fruits of my labor, but if every beer I brewed took a year to taste good I'd get a new hobby. Big, wild brews are fun, but standard ABV stuff needs to be your bread and butter unless you keep a huge pipeline of aging brews or don't mind buying most of your beer.

For all of you out there that CAN'T STAND removing bottle labels. Goof off is too expensive, but if you buy yourself some Guinness Draught in the new bottles, the labels are plastic and wrap around the bottle. Its as simple as a razor blade and they fall off! Plus its a Guinness stout bottle, heavy, and reliable.

Right now, it's trying to maintain pipeline. With graduation parties, memorial day, summer, and friends and family gatherings, my brews are in high demand. Unfortunately, I don't have the time needed to do it right, so I haven't brewed in over a month. I guess they'll have to BYO.

This may sound odd but I hate getting things wet (insert joke). I don't like this in general. I hate when anything has water on it that shouldn't, like a countertop. It annoys me when water or wort drips out of tubing when I'm finishing up. Like when I hung hook my tubing from my pump.

Back