Learning the valuable lesson of aging your mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamrchick

Reaction score
Before we started making our own mead, my main experience with it was at an SCA event called the Pennsic Wars. Most people that brew for that event make very large batches of quick meads because 1. they share it with a ton of people and 2. those people are usually too drunk to know the difference anyway. :drunk:

When my DB and I started brewing we had read up on aging and the different ways: bulk or bottle, how long, etc. We decided that we would set aside 2 wine bottles from each batch for 2 years. Well, we love our mead, so needless to say the reserves are all that is left of our 1st year of brewing.

Its been 2 years. Tonight we opened our 1st reserve bottle. It was fabulous! We will now be setting aside a lot more from each batch as reserves. :D

My apologies for the dramatics... I'm rather stoked. :ban:

This is why I very quickly moved on to 6 gallon batches...WAY easier to keep a few bottles away for a couple years...I only have 4 bottles left of each of my 3 year old meads...

Yeah, lesson learned. Some of what we've made has been aged out of necessity like our Chocolate Cherry. That was bulk aged for almost a year just to get the bitterness out of it. Most of what we made never made it past three months before being bottled and once that happened... :tank: I'm just glad that we consciously set aside what we did or we'd have never known.

Just curious - my buddy wants to try a mead or two. I am happy to let it sit a year or so, any recipes you would be willing to share that aged well? I assume this is similar to cider and that the subtleties (i.e. type of honey) are what pay you at the end of the wait.

Thanks for any suggestions.

You're right on, mead only gets better as it ages. Pretty much all types age well, at least for a couple years. I've been told that traditionals are best for long-term aging though.

It's contagious, isn't it? There's just something about coming home from Pennsic that makes you want to fill your storehouses with mead.

Hi Loaming. Don't you know it! Being from the Debatable Lands doesn't help either. As you know, we are a drinking town with a football problem. :D

Hey CidahMastah. Well, my personal suggestion would be to start simple. Our basic show mead is a 50/50 on Orange Blossom and Clover honey. Mind you, we make 5 gallon batches of everything, so hopefully this will work for you:

A Medium Sweet Show mead
5 Gallons

1/2 gal of clover honey (6lbs)
1/2 gal of orange blossom honey (6lbs)
2 packets of Lalvin D47 (rehydrated w/ GoFerm)
5g Fermaid-K
2g Yeast Hulls

Original Gravity = 1.105 (this was our reading)
Target Final Gravity = 1.007

We still and clear our meads, so when the target was reached, we added:
.5 tsp Potassium Metabisulphite and 2.5 tsp Potassium Sorbate, and used SUPERKLEER.

This was our very 1st mead and it was drinkable after only 3 months, and we killed it all right away with the exception of our reserves. This is the one we just opened and we're kicking ourselves for not saving more.

My boyfriend made a Ginger Metheglin that he loved and I've made a Cranberry Melomel that was my favorite. You would need larger carboys for the fruit, so let me know if you'd like either of these as well.

Good luck!

Hey CidahMastah. Well, my personal suggestion would be to start simple. Our basic show mead is a 50/50 on Orange Blossom and Clover honey. Mind you, we make 5 gallon batches of everything, so hopefully this will work for you:

A Medium Sweet Show mead
5 Gallons

1/2 gal of clover honey (6lbs)
1/2 gal of orange blossom honey (6lbs)
2 packets of Lalvin D47 (rehydrated w/ GoFerm)
5g Fermaid-K
2g Yeast Hulls

Original Gravity = 1.105 (this was our reading)
Target Final Gravity = 1.007

We still and clear our meads, so when the target was reached, we added:
.5 tsp Potassium Metabisulphite and 2.5 tsp Potassium Sorbate, and used SUPERKLEER.

This was our very 1st mead and it was drinkable after only 3 months, and we killed it all right away with the exception of our reserves. This is the one we just opened and we're kicking ourselves for not saving more.

My boyfriend made a Ginger Metheglin that he loved and I've made a Cranberry Melomel that was my favorite. You would need larger carboys for the fruit, so let me know if you'd like either of these as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for this information!

Yeah I plan on making 5 gallons, never makes much sense to make less than that for me for all the reasons people mention above, specifically improving with age stuff.

I would love the other two recipes if it isn't a trouble. I was thinking of doing a couple different ones so they are available for comparison (was even considering doing a cyser with fresh pressed cider this year). I assume clover honey is the pretty basic stuff you can find in any supermarket?

did you actively try to stall the fermentation when you reached your target? Or did the D47 stall out on its own? My past experience with D47 is that it ferments dry, however with your SG I bet it might stall out based on the yeasts ABV tollernaces. Interesting, haven't used yeast hulls before.

As you can see I have some demi action going on in my basement with those big 15G demijohns! ;)

Thanks for this information!

Yeah I plan on making 5 gallons, never makes much sense to make less than that for me for all the reasons people mention above, specifically improving with age stuff.

I would love the other two recipes if it isn't a trouble. I was thinking of doing a couple different ones so they are available for comparison (was even considering doing a cyser with fresh pressed cider this year). I assume clover honey is the pretty basic stuff you can find in any supermarket?

did you actively try to stall the fermentation when you reached your target? Or did the D47 stall out on its own? My past experience with D47 is that it ferments dry, however with your SG I bet it might stall out based on the yeasts ABV tollernaces. Interesting, haven't used yeast hulls before.

As you can see I have some demi action going on in my basement with those big 15G demijohns! ;)

You can get clover honey from the supermarket, but it will likely have less taste than something from a local beekeeper. Maybe the orchards where you get your cider have honey available? It pays to use the good stuff, nothing worse than aging it for a year only to find that the honey you used tastes like nothing.

D-47 does "in theory" stall out around 14%, in practice it depends on a lot of factors though. Back-sweetening is perfectly acceptable for mead making, which is good since targeting FG can be tricky, especially when using aggressive yeasts.

I'd check out hightest's sticky on mead making, some great info in there about nutrients & general processes.

I am pretty familiar with yeast manipulation for high ABV, increasing phenols, etc. So that stuff I am probably good on. I have access to raw honey, and planned to use that based on what I have read as far as its higher mineral, etc. content. I was more curious if people had luck using cheap stuff. However - the orchard I get cider form does have honey, I just wasn't sure if it was desireable compared to clover or other honey's. I assuem the buckwheat, orange blossom, etc. are the fancier, more costly honeys than those honeys made by bees who pollinate the apple trees.

Most importantly you confirmed my suspicion. The honey type lends to the mead's nuances.

Thanks for the tips!

It just depends on what variety you prefer. As you already mentioned, raw honey is (IMO) superior to processed or pasturized.

If you can get apple honey, that might make a very interesting traditional.

You probably know more about fermentation management than I do, I've just this year been doing some experiementing with meads.

One thing I can say for certain: you won't regret buying quality honey, it will pay off in the long run. I already wish I had used better honey in a couple of my meads.

I certainly don't know all there is to fermentation - but have made it a focal point working on ciders, belgian brews,hefes, ales lagers etc. That should help me for the mead stuff :)

If we could use a lot more things raw, and unpasteurized we would be far better off IMO. So I will stick to that stuff. Looks like I might try to grab some raw honey and try a traditional type recipe. Then maybe buy some fancy stuff if it turns out well and try a gallon batch before I commit to hundreds of dollars of honey!

Check with your local home brew store. We were able to get 1/2 gallon jugs to get started with. We buy in bulk from Dutch Gold Honey now, but I believe they sell in smaller quantities as well. We've been searching for a local apiary that will sell to us in bulk, but it hasn't been cost effective yet.

I'm relatively new to the forums, is it bad form to post recipes in threads like this? I'm not sure if I should post them to the Recipe Database instead.

I'm finishing up my lunch hour right now, so I'll post/add them once I get home.

Check with your local home brew store. We were able to get 1/2 gallon jugs to get started with. We buy in bulk from Dutch Gold Honey now, but I believe they sell in smaller quantities as well. We've been searching for a local apiary that will sell to us in bulk, but it hasn't been cost effective yet.

I'm relatively new to the forums, is it bad form to post recipes in threads like this? I'm not sure if I should post them to the Recipe Database instead.

I'm finishing up my lunch hour right now, so I'll post/add them once I get home.

Thanks for the advice. I am search for local stuff, but can only find wildflower or clover honey. Price is $$ though. Slap organic on it and give it another $$ goose up.

No issue with posting recipes in a thread. Even though people don't follow this rule, you are supposed to only post tried and true recipes. A lot of people post recipes they just tried and are waiting to figure out if they are any good. Which to me is completely unhelpful :confused:

at least I think I read that rule about recipe additions on here somewhere

Recipe Posting Guidelines

When posting a recipe to the database please try and follow the simple guidelines listed below. This will help ensure that the HomebrewTalk.com recipe database is a valuable resource for brewers containing only quality, proven recipes.

If you want to post a recipe that has not yet been brewed or you are seeking help, please use the Recipes/Ingredients forum.

* Complete as many fields as you can. Recipes with more detail will be easier for others to brew.
* Provide as much information as you can. If it is an all-grain recipe, be sure to include all mash steps and temperatures.
* A picture is worth 1000 words. This isn't required, but if you can, post a picture of your beer.
* Brewing software files. Also not required, however you can attach a file from your favourite software program to the recipe. This makes it easier for fellow brewers to obtain your recipe. If possible try and post in BeerXML format as not everyone has the same software.

If you see any recipes that have been posted that do not meet the criteria above, please PM a mod or use the report post button to let us know so we can move it.

Hey CidahMastah. Sorry I didn't get to this last night. Rough day at work and my wonderful boyfriend pointed out that a Chocolate Cherry Mead would help. I didn't get much done last night...

I posted our Ginger Mead in the recipe forum. I will add the Cranberry when I get home tonight. The Cranberry was our 1st Melomel and our brew log is hilarious. Once I decifer all of the unneccesary comments and figure out what the heck we were trying to say, I'll get it up and let you know.

Hey CidahMastah. Sorry I didn't get to this last night. Rough day at work and my wonderful boyfriend pointed out that a Chocolate Cherry Mead would help. I didn't get much done last night...

I posted our Ginger Mead in the recipe forum. I will add the Cranberry when I get home tonight. The Cranberry was our 1st Melomel and our brew log is hilarious. Once I decifer all of the unneccesary comments and figure out what the heck we were trying to say, I'll get it up and let you know.

Thanks and no sweat - I don't even have my honey yet ;)

Awesome - just found a source for honey in buckwheat, orange blossom and wild flower. I think I will try all three. $18 for 5lb container for each! That seems like a killer deal and the place is about 5 minutes from my house.

Awesome - just found a source for honey in buckwheat, orange blossom and wild flower. I think I will try all three. $18 for 5lb container for each! That seems like a killer deal and the place is about 5 minutes from my house.

Do tell? What part of the state? I'm near Rochester. There's a family that sells a variety of honey at the public market here but their stock varies from week to week so I can't always get what I want, when I want it.

Dave

Do tell? What part of the state? I'm near Rochester. There's a family that sells a variety of honey at the public market here but their stock varies from week to week so I can't always get what I want, when I want it.

Dave

Honey and Beeswax Products:

J.M. & Kit Berry - I will pm you the phone number as I think it is a personal number - 1600 Clark Hoolow rd, LaFayette, NY 13084. Probably an hour or two from you.

That's not too far to drive for honey. I drive further than that to visit my fiancee. (grin) Thanks!

Dave

No problem, and glad to lend a hand and promote the seller - even though I never bought from them before!

Hey Cidah,

Just wanted to let you know I posted the Cranberry recipe. I haven't been around for a couple of days. Hope all is well!

Hey Cidah,

Just wanted to let you know I posted the Cranberry recipe. I haven't been around for a couple of days. Hope all is well!

Very cool - I am hoping to buy honey in the next few weeks and get the mead started up after that. For now I am swamped witht he details of our fall fest/ apple pressing day this sat! It should be a lot of fun

Very cool - I am hoping to buy honey in the next few weeks and get the mead started up after that. For now I am swamped witht he details of our fall fest/ apple pressing day this sat! It should be a lot of fun

That sounds fantastic! Is it a local/state event or a family affair? Don't work too hard! Or at least drink enough that you won't remember working hard!

That sounds fantastic! Is it a local/state event or a family affair? Don't work too hard! Or at least drink enough that you won't remember working hard!

We do a yearly big pressing and get about 80 bushels. Kids friends family and put them to work and then send them home with cider!

We got in the 160-180 range of pressed fresh cider this year - it turned out great with a nice velvety body and rich flavor. Lots of work, but enjoyable. Served home brewed beer and people brought a dish to pass. Fresh homemade fried donuts on the spot and lots of other rockin food.

We will need a week to recover! haha

Back