Leaky regulator help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymark

Reaction score
I loaned out a regulator and it came back with beer in it. Yes, I know, check valve, check valve, check valve. I opened it up and cleaned it and when I put it back together (took pictures so not to make mistakes) it leaks out hole in top of regulator. The hole that vents when one lowers the pressure setting on the regulator.

Does the diaphram require some kind of grease? Maybe plumber grease (silicone grease)?

Any thoughts? Anyone know of someone who can repair/rebuild regulators in the Atlanta area?

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

A leak through the vent does finger the diaphragm. It either has a hole or tear or it's not sealing, as you suspect.

That reg looks similar to my Chudnows, the major differences are the style of the cartridge and the plastic spacer on yours.
I've serviced a few of mine and one thing I do is to put a mere film of keg lube on the sealing faces of the diaphragm before assembly.
While I don't know if that makes any difference, none of my gas systems leak...

Cheers!

Thanks. Lubed up center hole of diaphram and rim with silicone grease. Still leaks. It looks like a Micromatic. New diaphram is $4, may just order one up.
13.png

Are there no markings on the regulator itself to show you the manufacturer?

Also, what part of Atlanta are you at? I am part of a club based out of Snellville (New London Brew Club), and you are welcome to check us out!

Back