leaky kegs, broken regulator, or user error?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do I know it's out of whack?????? Everything looks normal.

So I disconnected the tank and unscrewed the regulator so I can take the tank to get filled tomorrow. I was going to bring the regulator in hope that they would test it. I was holding the regulator, watching tv, and felt something wet. I shook the regulator some more and a few drops of beer came out, and then some more..... Looks like I ruined it, not sure when though. I bought a check valve on Saturday so it had to have been in there for at least a little while.
Looks like I need to fill a tank and buy a new regulator.... :(

You can get a rebuild kit for the regulator, I think they cost like 10 or 11 dollars. Check morebeer or Arcet tomorrow.

the checked out the regulator and found nothing wrong. I got home and hooked it up and used the soapy water spray bottle on it and depending on what angle the gauges are, there is a leak. Keeping them flat (facing straight up) fixes the leak. I hooked up the draft tower last night and things seem to go fine except for 2 issues.

When the tap is shut off, sometimes I can hear gas coming out so I guess it's not completely sealing. There is also a leak coming from the check valve I installed last week near the IN tap.
Also, for my party, do I leave the gas on the entire time or should I just turn it off and on as needed. I could see that being a PITA but I don't want all my gas to leak out from this tap.

OK, I'm a bit confused. Where is the leak exactly did you find it anywhere from tank onwards woth the soapy water? Or is the sound of gas after the beer tap is shut off just the sound of co2 going into the keg?

Keeping them flat (facing straight up) fixes the leak.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean when the reg is on the tank you can rotate the reg? If so then your conection to the tank is not tight enough or you need a new seal there. Does co2 leak out there? Did you try soapy water there?

If you have found a leak:

If it is where the gauges connect to the regulator then turn tank OFF and remove regulator from tank. Remove the guage(s) and remove the teflon tape on the threads. get some GAS tape and wrap it around the threads once or twice. Reinstall the guage.

Basically do that with any leaking threaded conection.

If the leak is at the post on your keg then it's probably the o-ring on the post. Just replace it. Even a hardware store should cary that size o-ring.

Latest posts

Back