Leaky keg post - pin lock keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are there poppets in a pin lock keg post? When I received the keg I changed all of the O-rings and used lube no them. I watched several videos for cleaning kegs and they all address the poppets on a ball-lock keg. I cannot find any information online about the posts for pin-lock kegs.

Basically I am wondering, is there any maintenance for pin lock posts? Are there poppets that I don't understand how to get to?

Thank you!

there are poppets in the pinlock post just like there are poppets in ball locks post

is your leak under the post? there are o-rings under the dip tubes

or is your leak between the post and the disconnect ? there are o-rings on the post also

or out of the poppet ? top of the post

S_M

The poppet on a pin lock is retained in the post. You can remove it by pulling off the post and using a small screwdriver to lightly pry out the feet on the bottom of the poppet.

Edited to correct my poor terminology.

A bit of care in terminology goes a long way towards not confusing rookies.
ie: "Posts" are not "Connectors".

A pin lock liquid post with poppet
pin-lock-cornelius-liquid-post-th.jpg

A mating pin lock beer connector aka disconnect
tn2_plbeer081811094441.jpg

Cheers!

I purchased an old pin lock keg and after installing a standard o-ring replacement kit on it, I had a leak on both of my pin lock keg posts. I noticed that if I turned the "in or "out" lines a certain way or applying pressure a certain way I had a leak at both, so I disconnected the "out" line the night before but left that gas going to it, figuring I'd get to it the nex morning...fast forward to said morning, and had an empty C02 tank. I brought the keg into the LHBS, and the owner gave me a couple fatter o-rings which solved the problem. No leaks on the posts no matter how much pressure applied or which way they are turned.

^This happens way more than it should - and it's usually the LHBS's fault. By design, pin lock post O-rings are thicker than ball lock post O-rings - yet you'll commonly find LHBS's selling a standard pack of O-rings for both keg styles - with ball lock post O-rings. I've seen similar mistakes in on-line stores.

And the potential problem is exactly as described: if the QD isn't sitting nearly perfectly square to the post, there'll be a leak...

Cheers!

Are there poppets in a pin lock keg post? When I received the keg I changed all of the O-rings and used lube no them.

That maybe the issue. Use NSF rated plumbing silicone grease. O-rings are often damaged during installation and assembly from getting nicked from sharp edges or pinched due to lack of lubrication.

Do not use anything else on the O-ring. Petroleum base will damage the rubber and non NSF may leech disagreeable flavor into the beverage. Avoid using metal tools to remove o-rings if you can avoid it at all. Squeeze to make a gap and stick a tooth pick in and you can use whatever tool to rip it out. Any gouge or nick you cause on the metal post can abrade and tear the o-ring. You'll need to buff it out or replace the fitting if you happen to do it.

I didn't take the post apart when I cleaned and sanitized everthing. I just took the posts off and soaked them in oxyclean / starsan. I didn't understand how to take the poppets out, so I just didn't. I replaced all of the o-rings except for the ones in the posts. It's leaking slightly out of the top hole that you can press down on, the poppet. Thank you for the replies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Earwig, it sounds like you need to check the poppets and clean them as described above. If you have a leak at the post when the disconnects are connected, you have a leak with the post o-ring. Here is my solution for that problem:

BEER side: 10mm (ID) X 16mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone
GAS side: 12mm (ID) X 18mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone

You can buy small quantities here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MKXQ9M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (10 pcs. for $3.49 - 10mm (ID) X 16mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ASY3Y8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (10 pcs. for $3.47 - 12mm (ID) X 18mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone

Larger quantities can be purchased at http://www.oringsandmore.com/. They also carry 11mm x 17m x 3mm in silicone and BUNA, which may be the best solution, but I have not tried it.

You can read a more complete review of my attempts to find the right o-ring here (pics, too):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/mcmaster-keg-o-ring-list-233086/index13.html#post5913265

Last edited by a moderator:
Back