Leaking between faucet and shank.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwipen

Reaction score
I noticed some dried up beer on the floor under my kegerator. No apparent leak until I found more dried up beer on a faucet nut. Since it had dried up it must have been a slow leak. The faucet have had the same beer hooked up to it for a long time, no problems before.

Disconnected the keg, removed the Perlic 630 faucet, cleaned up the mess, sanitized the parts and mounted the faucet to the shank again. Then I hooked up the keg and poured me a beer.

Tightened all my other shank nuts, and some seemed to be a bit loose, but no leaking.

All good so far.

A few minutes later I find more beer on the same nut! I'm pretty sure it was tight enough. It could just have been residue from the first mess mixed with Starsan, but I'm not sure. After tightening it even more I wiped of the drops.

It's been leak free for about an hour, but I'm not sure I trust that gasket anymore.

Have you had any leaking between the faucet and shank? What do you think? Could the faucet nut have loosened just enough over time to leak? Bad gasket? Remember this faucet have been problem free for months and months.

I think it is just the gasket. It could be too compressed and unable to make a full seal. I would start by getting another faucet gasket and seeing how that does for you.

It is also possible that the gasket is cut or torn somewhere, or there is a slight imperfection on the mating surfaces. The rarest option would be the teeth aren't milled correctly and don't line up, but as you have had it for months, this seems the least likely scenario.

Back