Leak when trying to carb pin lock keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnyardFunk

Reaction score
This is my first keg set up and carbing experience so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.

When I hooked the keg up to the co2 tank to start carbing it and opened the gas valve, the gas instantly started to leak from the top of the keg.

It seemed like it was coming straight out of the side of the Pressure Relief Valve. I'm baffled because the keg came pressurized when I bought it from my LHBS and I used the Pressure Relief Valve and let out a little air, so it seemed to be in working order. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

If you shake the keg there is any leak from the cover?
If yes could be missing lube on the o-ring or damage one

The pressure relief valve threads in. I'd try tightening it a little bit. When I first got my kegs that was my first leak. I didn't even know the relief valve came out.

I get this sometimes at lower pressures. Try to dial it up and see if it seals.
Also using keglube on the o-ring seals, it will help greatly.

That or rotate the lid and see if it fits better the oposite way.

Thanks for the advice! I dialed up the pressure a bit then backed it back down to the 12 I was shooting for and it stopped leaking completely. Problem solved, much thanks!

Latest posts

Back