leaf hop aroma gone after 3 week storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ne0t0ky0

Reaction score
Used my first bag of leaf hops about 3 weeks ago. When I opened the bag the aroma was amazing! A lot more hop character than say pellet hops which most smell fairly similar when you stick your nose in the bag. I have about 6 oz left of the 8 oz sealed pack. After using it, I vacuum sealed and stored in a freezer. Last Friday I opened the leaf bag and there wasn't *any* of the amazing aroma, mostly just the earthy smell of plants.

Is this typical for leaf hops? I know my pellet hops fade a bit but they never lose that hop aroma like the leaf did... Any remedy other than use the bag immediately?

The bag was devoid of air until you opened it. So when you first smelled it, it was potent. Rub a few cones between your fingers to rustle up some of the oils... you'll smell it again.

I was hoping it was something like this. I'm about to dry-hop the beer I brewed with some Amarillo so I'll be sure to give em a rub and see if that brings it back.

It sounds like even if I don't get that smell they'll be OK. I was just worried since this was my first experience with storing leaf hops that I was missing some critical step...

Latest posts

Back