Lazy cheapskate brewer contestant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juanroberts

Reaction score
I was not sure where to post this, if in the intro section, etc. I settled for the beginner section even though I have brewed beer since college in the eighties. That is over 30 years. At least its a new concept I have a question about:

Is it safe to store a new batch of carbonated Scotch Ale in a Cornelius keg at basement temperature for a year without the CO2 tank connected? After that it would go in the fridge for drinking. The reason I ask is that I am afraid the carbonation may leak out, and if it does, I am not sure if this could ruin the ale. In the past I have stored kegs in the fridge while still connected to the CO2 tank and they have lasted just fine for four years with no taste deterioration. Bottled Scotch ale, not so mucho: it tends to start to smooth and taste good in six months, but then goes downhill after a year, picking up the off flavors again.

And that is why I use a keg these days, its less work than bottling! I also freeze a couple of gallons of filtered water in ziplock bags so that I can cool the wort quickly without having to buy a wort chiller. Yeah, its risky but how else will I win the lazy cheapskate contest?

Ok, back to the keg-aging question. Does it sound reasonable? I would hate to build up my expectations over a year and then be disappointed.

If your question is whether or not the keg will hold pressure for that long...that's up to the keg and seals.

I accidentally left a keg of carbonated homemade root beer in the fridge for over a year...and it was still pressurized when I went to dump it. I do not believe that the temp will matter as it relates to whether or not the seals will hold. I think as long as the o-rings are in good condition, and as long as it has no known leaks you'll be okay.

LOL, i too was all prepared to brag about my $8 8% 10 gallon batches! :mug:

as far a keg holding pressure, i'd imagine as long as it's fully carb'd, and at equalization already....it'll be fine...and my god a keg lasts you 4 f'in years??????mine barley make it four days! ;)

Hilarious! I want to hear how you guys do it, how can you go lazier and cheaper than me? I want in on the secret. I hope you will share.

Right now I am brewing with kits, so my cost is about $30 at best for a light Scotch Ale all grain. What I was thinking was going to the local maltings company and buying a whole big sack of malted barley. Then I could roast it for the color needed. I do not usually use too many hops for the beers I like (Scotch Ale, Trippel, and Doppel Bock), etc. I am working on the keeping the yeast alive thing too.

What are your secrets? Or better yet, lets turn this into a contest. I am clearly not the winner here, although I am still brewing from plastic buckets bought for $5 in a garage sale by my father-in-law about 20 years ago. My first batch 30 years ago was in a real paint bucket, and the airlock was a drilled hole that had a silicone-glued hose that was taped into a glass of water. Back then I was bottling into masonry jars.

so my cost is about $30 at best for a light Scotch Ale all grain.

damn, that's what it costs me for 10 gallon batch of cider.....

Then I could roast it for the color needed.

there's thread about making crystal...it actually requires stewing before roasting.....kinda mashing in the kernel....

I want in on the secret.

my secret is i buy 50lb bags of whole barley from the feed store and malt my own, so i'd lose points on lazy. but net 40lb's of malt for 12.99....and i buy old stock hops from YKV

edit: oh, and i repitch yeast until it stops making alcohol.....(and before you shun my 'brew', i swear it's better then millwaukee's best, :D)

Back