Laying a carbonated keg on it's side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miahpage

Reaction score
I am going on an eight hour trip and I am taking two filled kegs of beer. Originally I was going to be able to stand them up in the back seat but now I might have to actually put people in the seats, ug.

Does anybody have any experience laying filled and carbonated kegs on their side? Will the kegs remain sealed and not leak on an 8 hour trip? I would hate to have 10 gallons of beer in my trunk. All of the seals are fresh and the kegs have been on carbonating at 10 psi for about two weeks now.

I've done it before. I would hit it with 12 PSI before you leave and make sure nothing can come in contact with the posts or the relief valve.

When you arrive, put them upright and let them settle and chill for a day or so as you will have lots of foam.

You might want to lay them on their side for overnight or something before you go, so you can test if they'll leak and contain any possible leakage.

Or make the passengers lay on their side in the trunk

i like edwort and ksbrains suggestions.

I also think its prudent to lay the kegs in the bathtub or similar vessel to contain the possible but hopefully nonexistent leaks.

i like edwort and ksbrains suggestions.

I also think its prudent to lay the kegs in the bathtub or similar vessel to contain the possible but hopefully nonexistent leaks.

+1
Bathtub storage=even better

I took 3 kegs from Iowa to Florida in the trunk of a Fusion - Everything was fine.

remember that as they warm up the pressure will increase inside the keg. Make sure you get them cold again before you serve them, and don't let that pressure off while they are warm. You need it to stay in the beer!

Have the people in the back seat cradle the kegs between their knees for the trip... That way you don't need to worry about them spilling in the trunk... :D If they're not willing to do that, then take one less person and have the kegs in the other foot well... Hopefully you'll be able to fit the pair in there (depends on your car)...

One of the reasons I like having a small truck... The cab (super cab) is big enough for me, and one adult. Otherwise the back of the cab is too small for people, but good sized for transporting items that I don't want to put into the bed. There's also the option of using the bed of the truck for transporting things (with the tie-downs too)... Next truck might have full sized rear doors in it (if I get another truck, still up in the air) so I might be able to take more passengers... More likely, I'll just put more stuff back there. :D

wrap the kegs in some blankets/towels and it will keep their temp from changing too much on your trip. i didnt see how long of one you were going on but i assume it is "short" <4 hours.

Back