Late pickup in AG fermentation rates. Should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldfish

Reaction score
Started my first AG batch about 3 weeks ago now.

This is my second batch of beer, and first batch that didn't go straight from primary to the bottle.

My question is, Is it normal to get a boost in fermentation rates after transferring into a carboy?

The batch in question is a cocolate rasberry wheat ale.

My wort spent its first 6 days in a plastic fermentor. I then racked to a secondary bucket which had the rasberries in it. After 6 days of being in with the rasberries I then rackd it again into the caroy for clarification. During its secondary fermentation there was activity in the airlock this was fairly minimal though. Once being racked to the carboy the pace picked up to the point that I had to install a blow off tube.

Is this an expected reaction to the raspberry juice being more thoroughly mixed in and thus fermenting more or something else that shold cause me worry?

You added a lot of sugar with the raspberries, so it would follow that you'd get some increased fermentation activity. Echo what boo boo said about the wild yeast, though - I hope you pasteurized or otherwise treated your raspberries before putting them in your beer.

All i did for the berries was freeze for a few days andthen microwave a few minutes to defrost a little. Everything I had read said that the bacteria on fruit wasn't harmful to beer so you didnt need to worry about it.

Hmm...everything I've read says exactly the opposite. You want to avoid boiling fruit for fear that you'll set the pectin and make beer jelly, but you do want to sanitize any fruit addition. Papazian suggests pasteurizing by putting the fruit in water heated to greater than 160 degrees for at least 10 minutes.

Ummmmm, beer jelly! Sounds good, especially for one who likes beer for breakfast.

So assuming i have a wild yeast infection what are my options?

The beer as it is now doesnt look or smell any differently than when I racked from secondary to the carboy.

Goldfish said:
So assuming i have a wild yeast infection what are my options?

The beer as it is now doesnt look or smell any differently than when I racked from secondary to the carboy.

Dont assume . . .
What ya have is a whole bunch of sugart added when ya added the berries causing more fermentation, ya may even get another kresaun. It sounds like ya may have kicked started the yeast also. Let it ferment along then settle out and give it a taste. You may need to re-rack it again for clarity (put back in the bucket, wash out and sanatize the carboy then put back in the carboy leaving as much crap behind in both transfers as you can).

Next time ya use fruit though sanatize it in some manner. I prefer vodka, some people like heat . . . what ever you prefer should be ok.

RDWHAHB and let your beer work. I bet ya a 6 pack it turns out fine.

Well went and bottled the batch today. It doesnt seem tainted but tastes nothing like how I imagined it would. I honestly can't distinguish the taste of raspberries from the chocolate. Then again I can't truly distinuish the taste of either in it. The slight mediciny taste is also no longer present.

lets hope carbonation goes ok.

Back