Late extract addition and clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedie789

Reaction score
The last two extract beers I've made (APA and ESB) I did a 3 gal boil with half the extract and added the rest at the end of the boil. Once it's mixed (liquid extract by the way) I chill using an immersion chiller. I also used whirlfloc at 10 minutes in both batches. The apa used us-05 and the esb 04. Both were about 3 weeks in primary before going in the keg and on tap both are very hazy. The ESB never did clear before the keg kicked and the APA is just as bad. I did add gelatin to the beer today so we'll see if that helps.
I didn't have this haze problem when I added all the extract in the beginning of the boil, but the beer tastes better with the late addition. Does anyone else have hazy beer with late addition brews? Trying to get my beer to look as good as it tastes!

I never encountered that problem. I had a problem with my first kegged beer being hazy - I decided to cold crash my beers before transferring to the keg from now on.

Also,3 weeks in primary can't be a hard & fast rule. However long it takes to get down to a stable FG,then 3-7 days more to clean up & settle out more,or till fairly clear. What did yours look like when you kegged it? Did you use a high flocculation yeast? low to mid flocculation?
Beers will settle very clear if given time,but a high flocculation yeast helps this method a lot. Otherwise,cold crashing may be the ticket for you.

Latest posts

Back