Late Christmas present SCOOOOOORE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had to brag about this one: so my dad & step-mom moved into a new house about a year ago. Apparently, along with a few bottles of extremely well-aged wines, they found these bad boys and gifted them to me today!

1993 Rogue-XS Old Crustacean Barleywine (2 bottles)
IMG_0341.jpg

1994 Sam Adams Triple Bock (3 bottles)
IMG_0340.jpg

They also found the original '94 Sam Adams newsletter which described their Triple Bock in all its glory (somewhat tattered, but still readable)!

:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

Wondering if the Crusty has held up over time. It was found in a fairly stable cellar, around 60F year-round, so I'll possibly try it out this weekend. The Sam Adams probably fared better considering that whopping 17.5% ABV...

And here's a scan of the article:

img035.jpg

Wow, I cannot wait to hear what you think of them. Such a great gift from your parents that are definitely a one off gift.

Chromados

wow. just wow. I have been tempted to leave some of my bigger beers hidden in my basement for when I move out along with a note and some kind of patence of nobility

I hated the Old Crustacean, but I had the '03 or '04 (I think?), so maybe I got a bad batch. Haven't tried any other Barleywines, so I don't know if it's just the style, or that specific example of it.

Hope it's held up and that you like 'em!

I am pretty sure Old Crustacean was one of the beer pairings at the NHC conference dinner this past summer. Obviously, not quite that old...

Yep-that's what has me interested at this point: whether or not a somewhat lower ABV barleywine with a standard metal cap can stand up to a higher ABV that was corked. 1 of each currently chilling, planning on Saturday night for la degustación final!

Latest posts

Back