Late Addition Extract article in Zymurgy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read this in the Nov/Dec 2010 issue of Zymurgy in the "Dear Professor" section on p. 12.

late%20extract%20addition%20article.jpg

I have a couple issues with this... 1. What brewery in the world uses malt extract??? It is so damn expensive and the amount they would have to purchase would be astronomical. 2. Isn't LME and DME already boiled??? Afterall, it is nothing more than a mash wort with excess water evaporated off.

I have a couple issues with this... 1. What brewery in the world uses malt extract??? It is so damn expensive and the amount they would have to purchase would be astronomical. 2. Isn't LME and DME already boiled??? Afterall, it is nothing more than a mash wort with excess water evaporated off.

That's why I read it and shrugged. I love Charlie P, and would never argue with him. But I don't believe that extract needs an hour boil to "coagulate proteins", etc.

Charlie P has never heard of late extract addition? That seems crazy to me. How could he be so out of touch with something that is common practice among this community, and what I assume is prevalent in the larger homebrewing world?

Agreed. It's already been through the boil process. It doesn't make sense to re-boil it, at least LME anyway. DME I can kinda understand because the risk of contamination is slightly greater with the dry product.

Back