Late Addition and Hop Utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjbunton

Reaction score
So I now have two brews under my belt and am really enjoying the first one now after about 4 weeks in the bottle. The only problem I am having is that it is a little bitter to me. Is supposed to be an amber, but much more bitter than what I am used to for the category.

So my question is, since I did a late addition with half of my extract, as people suggested to help get the right color, is it possible that there was greater hop utilization in the boil?

It seems to make sense to me that you would derive more from the hops if they were boiled in water versus a syrupy wort. I am just curious if my thinking is right and that I may have found a way to correct for the next brew.

I currently have my porter in the bottles, about 2 more weeks til they are ready, and hoping that it doesn't end up as bitter since I used the same methods.

Could be. Or the Alpha Acid level of your hops was more than the recipe called for.

If it's too hoppy, let it age, the bitterness will fade over time.

Can you post your recipe? I think some more information about your hop additions and gravities will help us give you better insight. I think I've also read in other threads about the flavors balancing as it sits in the fridge for over a week. I definitely find my beers get better after 2 to 3 weeks of fridge time, though they don't last much longer than that at my house.

6 lb. Gold liquid malt extract
2 oz. Special B steep
8 oz. Crystal 80L steep
2 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains steep
1 oz. Hallertau 60 min
1 oz. Fuggle pellet hops 2 min
yeast US-05

It is the Autumn Amber Ale from Midwest Supplies. They say average of 15 IBUs, which should be not too bitter but it definitely seems more than that.

How are you steeping? Special B and Roasted barley can impart some bitterness aside from the hops. I realize the recipe didn't call for much of either of these but it's not always the hops.

To address your question about the hop utilization, I personally don't think adding half your extract later in the boil would have much of a noticeable effect on the hop utilization/bitterness. I am guessing it is the toasty flavor of your specialty grains like previously mentioned. Also, I think a liquid yeast might help. Perhaps your FG was lower than you would have wanted with the US-05, hence making it taste a little drier/bitter.

Back