Last semester of college

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
Alright, I'm facing a serious dilemma here...

I have a summer job that resulted in me getting paid a big chunk of change at the end of summer.

I am going back to school for my last semester. I have 2 choices:

1. Blow all my money on brewing supplies. I bought a chest freezer a few weeks ago but I still need a temp controller. I'll also need to rent a van to haul it down to my place with the rest of my brewing **** I brought home for the summer (sucks driving a compact car).

2. Blow all my money on clothes. One of my hobbies is fashion and I spent a good deal of summer coming up with a stunning fall wardrobe (very GQ).

All my friends have graduated so my only way to meet girls is in class or drive 2 hours and go clubbing in the city, really. Not going to too many parties unfortunately. Usually I try to dress to impress (nice sport coats and sweaters, slim-fit everything) but my fall/winter wardrobe has gone to **** (my summer would have too had I not spent this summer's wages upgrading it). I blame brewing for sapping all my money.

On the flipside, without friends/parties to occupy my free time, I feel like brewing would help keep me busy. I could brew a lot and my campus job could keep a good pipeline going. But who would I drink it with? Probably no one. I would like to start entering some competitions though.

It's a really tough decision. Upgrade my wardrobe and go clubbing a lot which would help me get ass, or upgrade my brewing and buy ingredients which would be good for personal growth and happiness.

You go to college and you can't find anyone to drink with? Seriuosly?

Brewing equipment. Any girl that finds brewing cool and sexy is a keeper.

You go to college and you can't find anyone to drink with? Seriuosly?

Brewing equipment. Any girl that finds brewing cool and sexy is a keeper.

Well I should mention that I live by myself in an apartment complex that is pretty empty.

Girls don't typically like beer all that much, too. The ones who have tried my beer usually just say they think it's a well-made beer, but just not really their thing.

Right now I just feel kind of silly for having spent so much money on brewing when I'm making so little money. Once I have a real job, I feel like I can rationalize this a little better. If I had devoted this much money and energy to getting a decent girlfriend, I'd probably be happier...then again, maybe not ;),

50% clothes, 50% beer. Graduating last year, I found having some classic clothes that fit well and won't go out of style anytime soon to be very helpful entering the working world.
YMMV.

Hate to be the wet blanket here but the smart thing would be to save it for that long, long time it's going to take between graduation and when you find a job in the current market.

Or just blow it on brewing gear to keep you in beer during your long, long job hunt. :D

Don't you already have clothes? Do they have to be new for you to find women and go out? I agree with chshrecat. Save that money for when you really need it.

College loans to pay off? Future downpayment on a house?... car? I'm all for brewing and pickin' up chicks, but, well... life will hit you sooner or later. The only question is, will you be ready?

Well between the two choices.... spend the money to get a set or two of some nice dress clothes if you don't have any (for interviews once you graduate, that sort of stuff), then the rest on brewing. But yeah personally I'd stash it away for when I need it.. but that's me :mug:

Clothes? hahahaha. ha. ha.

Sorry, I'm not judging you on your choice to follow fashion, I will just never understand it. I just lost 30lbs and none of my clothes fit me and I have hardly considered buying any new ones... I'd go naked if it were socially acceptable... but then again I also don't feel like I'm done losing weight, so thats another reason I haven't looked into get new ones.

My current dilemma is whether or not to blow my summer earnings on a dirtbike I really want... I'm actually considering selling some of my kegs to help fund it (I have like, 20 of them, and a baller kegerator that I have no place put but would turn me a decent profit) And I figure I'll scrape in some dollars to do a few batches when I can...

If you don't hate me for laughing at you, here is my $.02: take $100 and go all grain if you haven't already. Hold off on kegging, and spend the rest of your money however you want. Or set yourself a kegging budget and stick to it.

Also, you might wanna save a few dollars for a new set of teeth after I break yours for saying leffe is terrible, mmm'kay? :D

What I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is that you found a good summer job. I graduated last year and still can't find a f@:mad:k*@$ job. Hell, I'm going to graduate again in a few weeks and I don't think my chances are any better.

Definitely beer or save it.

What I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is that you found a good summer job. I graduated last year and still can't find a f@:mad:k*@$ job. Hell, I'm going to graduate again in a few weeks and I don't think my chances are any better.

Definitely beer or save it.

LOL, I did NOT find a good summer job. I got a job handing out food samples at various local supermarkets. I was very thankful to find ANY job, since almost nowhere was hiring.

Decided to go with clothes. Probably difficult to understand for some, but then again, a lot of people probably think brewing is a waste of time and money. (They'd be wrong of course :mug:)

Hmmmm you just asked a bunch of brewers whether you should buy clothes or beer brewing equipment. Just what kinda of response do you expect?

Figure it like this, if you get into serious beer brewing it won't take long before your going to need more then flashy clothes to get :ban:. Not only that but the clothes you have now won't fit. Might as well get some practice in before all you have left is your sense of humor and brewing skills.

Brew... plain and simple... keep a pair of pants and a shirt to protect you from the occasional spray of hot wort on brew days... sell the rest of the clothes and buy more beer stuff. Go neked every where else, carry cold homebrew with you.... nekedness will get you noticed, homebrew will get you friends or at leased fans.... which will help you get a job, and maybe laid and oh, since your neked... you'll at leased be ready to do the latter.

If you brew it the ladies will come. Would you rather impress someone with how you can buy clothes or home you can make beer as a valuable skill. It's like napolean dynomite said. chicks only want dudes with sweet skills!

Back