larve after pressing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTS_35

Reaction score
so i have a question that i never really thought of until just now. i pressed my first grapes from my vines last year. After i did so i noticed small worms (larve) in the liquid. i did filter it after i noticed and the wine was crystal clear when bottled. But I am wondering, has any one seen this same thing, does the yeast eat them up or does the small amount of alcohol kill them and they fall into the lees? I spray my grapes but bugs still get at them. I just harvested yesterday and let them soak in water for a few minutes and observed a few spiders. I'm of the mind that that's nature. I mean i do my best to keep pests away but you're never going to keep them 100 percent pest free.

It’s nature, you can only do so much to keep things “clean”. After you press the juice, strain it and add sulfites before pitching yeast, you’ll be fine just keep the brew covered tightly with towel or under lid and air lock.

Pressed and filtered this year's and nothing really noticeable like last year's. Last year after pressing I could see the damn things in there

Latest posts

Back