Large Soapy Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavandeh

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a long time, but I think this question really belongs here.

I recently switched sanitizers to Star San because it is supposedly a no rinse sanitizer. Today I took a cup and a half of beer wort out of my primary with a thief that had been well sanitized (and dried) and dropped it into a clean measuring cup. I resanitized the bung and air lock, and replaced it after shaking most of the liquid off and no suckback of the air lock water occurred.

The krausen changed from a nice solid green-brown flocculent hop and yeast bed (toward the back of the carboy in the picture) to big iridescent soapy bubbles (front). What kind of off flavor can I expect?

I am disappointed because the bit I had before dumping it in my bread dough was marvelous.

ForumRunner_20130205_231106.jpg

I highly doubt that you'll see any off-flavors at all unless you got some kind of soap in there.

Star-San = not soap.

BigFloyd said:
I highly doubt that you'll see any off-flavors at all unless you got some kind of soap in there.

Star-San = not soap.

Though I believe it does have a surfactant, hence the bubbles... which are absolutely nothing to worry about! As has been said repeatedly: don't fear the bubbles!

Back