LARGE IDIOT HERE... Advise please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeer

Reaction score
so huuuuuuuuuge **** up...
not sure how bad yet. i was cleaning up the fermentation mess and had a spray bottle of household all purpose cleaner and a spray bottle of sanitizer. (i realize this is where i went wrong) so i accidentally sprayed the seam or the bucket (where the lid meets the bucket) with the cleaner... i wiped the spray off and then wet a few paper towels and wiped with that then a 3rd time with wet paper towel, wiped a 4th time with dry paper towel and then sprayed with sanitizer. im pretty sure nothing got in but really dont want to dump it. think the batch is ruined?
kind of freaking out

You're fine. Relax. If the lid was pressed down on to the bucket, there is no way the cleaner could have found its way into the beer.

so huuuuuuuuuge **** up...
not sure how bad yet. i was cleaning up the fermentation mess and had a spray bottle of household all purpose cleaner and a spray bottle of sanitizer. (i realize this is where i went wrong) so i accidentally sprayed the seam or the bucket (where the lid meets the bucket) with the cleaner... i wiped the spray off and then wet a few paper towels and wiped with that then a 3rd time with wet paper towel, wiped a 4th time with dry paper towel and then sprayed with sanitizer. im pretty sure nothing got in but really dont want to dump it. think the batch is ruined?
kind of freaking out

What kind of cleaner was it? How sure are you it didn't get in? Those things will play heavily into the decision.

EDIT: To clarify, you sprayed the rim of the bucket with the lid off, right?

What kind of cleaner was it? How sure are you it didn't get in? Those things will play heavily into the decision.

EDIT: To clarify, you sprayed the rim of the bucket with the lid off, right?

cant remember the brand but its one of the "green" cleaners. bucket was sealed except one little area that had lifted due to crazy fermentation. im 99% sure nothing got in.

Rare pic of the head brewer!
jPPu7TE.jpg

I have a friend who said every brew pub beer she tasted, tasted "flowery", I would disagree, but I'd love to have her taste something from Mr Clean's brewery ... That would be awesome! ;)

Add two drops of red food coloring to your starsan spray bottle. I have little thing of red food coloring that sits right next to my starsan concentrate. I have spray bottles that all look the same with CLR, bleach, Roundup (I make that green). No effect on beer or anything BTW - been doing this for years.

2012-12-15-at-104549-57647.jpg

Back