Large amounts of Vienna/Munich malts in recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
Would a malt bill with equal parts Munich, Vienna, and pale malt be too cloying? Something along the lines of 3 to 4 pounds of each in the recipe. It wouldn't be like throwing 3 pounds of crystal in there, right?

two of the finest beers i've ever tasted were SMaSH ales.

one was 100% vienna with northern brewer

the other was 100% belgian munich with mt. hood

my dunkelweizen recipes are usualy about 40% munich.

remember...people didn't always have specialty malts. These are base malts and are intended to make up the majority of the grist
:mug:

I've done Vienna Lager (100% vienna malt) and Munich Dunkel (100% dark munich malt, triple decoction) and both are excellent beers. The dunkel is in the 5th month of lagering so I haven't had it carbed but it is TASTY.

Munich and Vienna are very different from crystals, so you don't have to worry about the beer being too sweet.

munich madness - just kegged - 12 lbs caramunich - 6 lbs 2 row(after i learned caramunich won't convert on its own) 30 litres @ 1.051 got down to 1.012 and is real tasty. used 2.5 ounces of my home grown hallertau.
the head is like a chocolate mouse!

i thought it was going to be my first dumper at first but it got down to 1.012 with good old nottingham and is quite tasty.

awesome...kinda of inspiring...i guess caramunich is a very low crystal so that's why it's not overpowering.

supposedly you can use aromatic as 100% of the grain bill in a beer. now THAT sounds terrifying :D

Latest posts

Back