Landscapers chopped my hops, how badly will my plants be effected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So here in NY we had a very long winter and I wasnt able to cut back first growth on my 5 year old plants until 2 weeks ago. Now it is mid May and my parents landscapers literally chopped all the shoots that were starting to come back. May 13th and Im back to square one. Being as pissed off as you can imagine, Im now wondering if my whole season will be shot and am curious to see what you all think in terms of how screwed I really am. Any insight would be much appreciated...

You'll be fine as long as the plants were growing healthy. Just train the next round and tell your folks to find a new landscaper!!!

I’m in Western MA and just about to cut back my first growth. Last year I was at least a week later than this and it turned out fine. Harvested early September.

Thanks for the responses! Im definitely going to have a talk with these guys but im sure once the trellis is strung it will be more obvious anyway. Cheers!

i use the three to four foot tall green plant stakes from Lowes/Home Depot to mark all my plants that are not obvious to the weed sprayer/yard guys until the plants get growing and its obvious they are not weeds... (of course this didn't stop the idiot from TruGreen last year from spraying my lilac bushes and killing them)..

Anyway, quick talk with the landscapers and also ask them how they are going to make this situation right (i ended up getting my bushes replaced and a free year of services).. if you don't ask they probably wont offer any type of compensation... If i were you i would look up what a couple of pounds of hops (per each plant) costs and bring those numbers to the discussion as monetary loss incurred due to their actions. They can write it off and you get at least compensated for any possible damages they may have caused to your harvest.

Here's another idea for protecting the hops and obviously marking them until you get the trellis(s) up cheap at lowes for like $6 each (they are for tomatoes etc and fold up when not needed anymore... and i use them basically to protect my hops from my dogs and the GF's idiot kid who like to wander through my flower/hops beds).

Beer is your friend here! Remember you can get more results using honey rather than vinegar. You cannot change what has been done. Give them a six pack and explain your concerns and see what they offer back. Nothing lost and much to gain!!! Remember rabbits chase carrots. Landscapers appreciate brews!

i use the three to four foot tall green plant stakes from Lowes/Home Depot to mark all my plants that are not obvious to the weed sprayer/yard guys until the plants get growing and its obvious they are not weeds... (of course this didn't stop the idiot from TruGreen last year from spraying my lilac bushes and killing them)..

Anyway, quick talk with the landscapers and also ask them how they are going to make this situation right (i ended up getting my bushes replaced and a free year of services).. if you don't ask they probably wont offer any type of compensation... If i were you i would look up what a couple of pounds of hops (per each plant) costs and bring those numbers to the discussion as monetary loss incurred due to their actions. They can write it off and you get at least compensated for any possible damages they may have caused to your harvest.

Here's another idea for protecting the hops and obviously marking them until you get the trellis(s) up cheap at lowes for like $6 each (they are for tomatoes etc and fold up when not needed anymore... and i use them basically to protect my hops from my dogs and the GF's idiot kid who like to wander through my flower/hops beds).

Latest posts

Back