Lambics Against Leukemia III (The Final Round...hopefully!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As we remind ourselves today the many reasons we are thankful for all the good things in our lives, let us also remember those less fortunate than ourselves. A little compassion can go a long way towards someone who is suffering from pain, whether it be from sickness, disease, loss of a loved one, or a myriad of other circumstances. While you are counting your blessings today, take a few minutes to read about this incredible little boy who always keeps smiling no matter what he faces. I am thankful for people like Owen, his story gives me strength. If you can, think about helping Owen and his family out. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Owen and Stella (his pup) really thankful for all of your help so far.

OandStella_zpsc341bcdf.jpg

Last edited:
One last bump! First, i want to thank everyone for their support. This is the last time i'll ask for donations! After this, i'll be posting the winners of these amazing prizes.

Take that money, disappointment, and shame that you have after driving around all day failing to find BCBS and put it toward something good!

5 hours left!!!

(also, if you haven't heard back from me, i've replied to everyone confirming entries up until about 3 days ago. I will be sending out the final emails confirming your entry tomorrow).

Whoops, I guess by not writing anything my donation was made anonymous. Oh well! Good luck to participants

Whoops, I guess by not writing anything my donation was made anonymous. Oh well! Good luck to participants
I'll figure it out, more than likely. Shoot an email to the 4owen address with your confirmation if you've got it. Or any info you have (amount, date, etc.).

No confirmation yet. Emailed on Wednesday
Sorry for the delay, Greg!

Confirmation emails should all have been sent now! If you did not receive an email from me, please reach out so we can figure it out. In particular, if you're name is Gabriel, Kyle, Deb, or Mark or you made an anonymous donation of $10, $50, or $240 and did not receive a response, please shoot me a private message.

Once i finalize the tickets, i'll get them over to Matt and Owen. Drawing date is TBD though, depends on Owen's treatment schedule and how he's feeling.

Confirmation emails should all have been sent now! If you did not receive an email from me, please reach out so we can figure it out. In particular, if you're name is Gabriel, Kyle, Deb, or Mark or you made an anonymous donation of $10, $50, or $240 and did not receive a response, please shoot me a private message.

Once i finalize the tickets, i'll get them over to Matt and Owen. Drawing date is TBD though, depends on Owen's treatment schedule and how he's feeling.

Thank you for doing this from the beer geek entering a lottery perspective, but more importantly...thank you for doing this to remind us what community is all about. Godspeed Owen!!!

No problem at all Bill! Happy to donate again. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get lost in the shuffle!

Thank you for doing this from the beer geek entering a lottery perspective, but more importantly...thank you for doing this to remind us what community is all about. Godspeed Owen!!!
And to all the people that donated those sickkkkk boxes. Incredible generosity all around.

Forgetfu / Bill - Any updates on Talk Beer's youngest member? Here's hoping Owen and the entire Meyer family has a wonderful holiday season and that young Owen continues putting the whooping on cancer.

December 10 was the 1 year anniversary of Owen's diagnosis. What a crazy year. Even knowing the family, I can't remotely fathom what they've been through. I know i couldn't have handled the past year with the strength that Owen demonstrated. And I can't imagine having to handle it as a parent (I have three boys, myself). Here's the post Matt shared in a few forums on the 10th.

A year ago tonight our lives changed forever. Owen has Leukemia, I'll never forget the Hematologist/oncologist telling us that. It's been an emotional roller coaster the past year, I think I've cried more times then I can count. But this kid is so strong, brave, intelligent, and resilient it really is amazing to see. As we try to give him as much reassurance, strength, and love as we possibly can he gives it back 10 fold. He's definitely taken this way better then we have and I'm so proud of him and how he's handled having his short little life turned upside down. We have some pretty amazing doctors, family, friends, and complete strangers on our side and we are so grateful for everyone's love, support, endless amounts of help, and just being there when we need it. So thank you everyone who has helped us, thank you so much. It really means everything. One day when Owen is old enough to understand we will show him all the cards, messages, pictures, and anything else we can of all the people (or as he would say "his friends") he's touched, and lives he's changed, it really is special. Looking back on the past year, I look forward to seeing where our journey takes us this year, thanks again for everything.

Raffle Update: The tickets are in Matt's hands. I have the stats ready to post about what we accomplished over these four rounds. I'll post those when I post the video and announce the winners. It's staggering, really. This fundraiser has been a constant reminder for me that this community is not all about fake TG bottles, winning trades, and trolling. All of that is just noise. The reality is that there are a great group of caring people on all of these beer sites and throughout the community, surrounding you at every tasting and release.

As we enter the holidays, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on what we accomplished as a community. It’s truly unbelievable.

- Owen Meyer was diagnosed with leukemia in December 2013.
- We sold 3,693 raffle tickets cross four rounds
- 636 members of the beer community participated in the raffles
- Owen’s blood cell blasts dropped from 95% cancerous at diagnosis to 0%
- People in 14 states and 2 countries won beer
- 17 individuals, 6 breweries, and 3 lambic blenders donated beer to help make this possible
- Owen entered remission in August 24 and began his 3 year journey to full recovery.

We raised $36,930 and helped Owen get through the first, tough year of a three year treatment program.

This beer community is amazing and we really couldn't have done this without Talkbeer!

Congratulations to the winners in this raffle! As always, i’m not posting the winners…you have to watch the video. I will be in touch and get your beer out to you after the new year.

Back