Lambic VS Japanese beer seeds AKA water kefir?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thamnophis

Reaction score
I've been exploring around the edges of fermentation for only a short while. Made my first water kefir beer today. Reminded me of the lambic process where bacteria and yeast work together to make the brew.

Are there fundamental differences? Or are kefir beers essentially a type of lambic beer?

What do you think of this "off the top of my head" recipe?

1 qt kefir starter made from spring water, 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 Tbs molasses.

After 2-3 days fermenting I used that as a starter for a gallon of "wort" made with a 1/2 pound of chocolate barley malt boiled for 10 minutes, 1/4 oz of 2.3 alpha hops and 1/2 cup black strap molasses boiled an additional 2 minutes at the end..

My floating thing said it had an alcohol potential of 5%.

I'm bottling in flip top (grolsh type) bottles, some of which I'll burp every day or so. Hope to be able to drink in about a week maybe?

I have to say, the wort was expresso.

This sounds more like hooch than beer IMO. Sure, you used some grain (boiled?) but your fermentables are pretty much all coming from processed simple sugars. While you may get some similar character from the kefir culture, it's definitely not a type of lambic beer.

Latest posts

Back