Lambic Question - WLP653 & WY3278

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmiller8

Reaction score
Next weekend I am going to 8 gallons of lambic during a turbid mash. These will be split into 2 different carboys, 1 with WY3278 and 1 with WLP653.

I know WY3278 contains a sacc wheat yeast so I'm not going to pitch another vial/packet of a sacc yeast.

However, for the WLP653, I'm not so sure. Has anyone pitched this by itself? I have a saison wrapping up so I can wash the yeast and pitch that potentially (WY3711). Any feedback is appreciated!

WLP653 is just Brett L, no sach. It will probably make a good beer but it won't be a lambic as brett will not make it sour. And if you use it as a primary it will actually taste pretty clean.

The WY3278 is a good choice. I started a lambic last year with 3278 and it has been coming along very good. The WLP chart for the most preferred yeast for lambic recommends 645 and 665. I would either use 665 by its self or combine 665 with 645.

If you are going to eventually make a geuze I would combine 665 with either 650 or 653. If your brew store doesn't have 665 to use as a base yeast you can substitute 655.

Good luck with the turbid mash I plan to try one soon!

Thanks guys! Looks like I will add WLP655 to my cart and use the 653 for saison I'm making the following day. Thanks again

Back