• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Lambic Baskets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosamich

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am looking to buy lambic baskets in bulk and I need to see if there is enough interest to buy a whole bunch of these. This might be better suited for group buys forum?...I am a nerd and made a quick survey so I wouldn't have to count people's responses. I am meeting with the guy to discuss having these made in about a week or so. Since I am required to post a price I would be shooting for $25-30 each, max. They might be cheaper, I won't know the price until I figure an order quantity and such. If you are interested, please follow the link and answer the questions. It will take all of 60 seconds. I am asking about price you are willing to pay just because if the majority of people will only pay $25 and they cost $27, for instance, then I know it is a cost-prohibitive venture. I hope this post is in accordance with the rules.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TLQ9BZY

They're kinda strange, I wonder what the cultural purpose of those were/are for. I assume the angle is that way to help pour the beer while leaving the yeast behind?

They seem awful fancy. Are there Belgian "Lambic Houses" where people go to drink lambics, like people go to drink Apfelwein in parts of Germany where it's served in ceramic pitchers?

Heres an article from BYO about Lambics. The baskets are briefly mentioned. Seems like a display item.

well according to crosamich's profile *she is a girl so she has her right to the baskets.

However if I came out and served any beer in one of these to my friends I can pretty much be assured I would get stupefied looks from my friends and awkward silence followed by an immediate cuff to the back of my head when I started pouring the first glass.

Not really sure what fruitcake material means. But it is similar to that, yes.

Fruitcake material = for the guys who like guys or for the girls

crosamich said:
Not really sure what fruitcake material means. But it is similar to that, yes.
To me something like this is equivalent to a 3 foot tall olive wood pepper grinder. It's pretentious in a way that may be appropriate in a restaurant, but not at home. Plus they're wicker, which is butt ugly
mikeysab said:
I'm not sure what that thing is, but if it is what I think it is, then I know what fruitcake material is.

I have no interest in one of those, no matter what it is.

are you sure? It would fit in nicely in one of your fondue parties ;)

The OP asked a simple request and a few folks are piling on with dumb comments - don't get it.

I have no need for one, but it would make a good gift basket for a bottle of wine/beer, etc and some cheese & chocolates tossed in.

You could probably have them made in China for $1 per basket.

I would imagine these are for storage of a lambic with a Belgium Style cork, similar to a wine cork, as it would need to keep moist. Similar to a wine rack, even though the majority of people I know who keep wines on wine racks have no idea why they need to be on their side, or keep screw-on capped bottles on their side, or don't keep the bottle long enough for it to even make a difference.

However, saying that, if I was storing any amount of Lambics, I'm not going to store them in a basket, as the storage space required would be too much. As mikeysab said, I assume just a display item, like those fancy wine racks that store only 3 bottles. Seriously, since when was only 3 bottles of wine enough for a party?

It is covered in Wild Brews. It allows the yeast to be compacted in the corner so that the greatest amount of beer can be poured without getting yeast. I would imagine there is some pretty nasty tasting stuff in lambic dregs.

Why, the op is stilll looking for people to get in on his group buy.

I would actually like one or two to display bombers of cider, or even homebrew. Five bucks would probably be my limit though. I've searched for more info on them, but the only hits I get are the op's other postings, and results for gift baskets.

From my very simple minded understanding they "should" be baskets u strain lambic from & this "magical" basket should infect each batch with brett/pedio/lactic each time. Baskets were used before the invention of the keggle with false bottoms. Sparrows wild brews must mention this basket at some point. 2 year old kiwi brett beer in the fridge waiting for me :) fruitcake material... :)

These baskets are prevalent in Belgium and serve a useful function. Please let me know if you source them. I apologize that it took repeated deletions of idiotic posts. Those interested in brewing, beer culture deserve better.

Please no more OT posts. Moderators have been deleting OT posts in this thread all day. Some were offensive, others referenced those posts, others were just distracting. The order of posts got out of wack too because people were writing responses while we were deleting.

Here's one that my research has brought me to:

http://www.katom.com/158-505WB.html

Here's another that seems to be from a basket weaver:

http://www.willowbasketmaker.com/2009/12/11/bottle-pouring-basket/

Here's another from a BA reviewer who claims he owns a lambic basket.....maybe you can PM him and find out where he got his from. The reviewers name is woosterbill:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/2558

One more from, I believe, a basket weaver who was requested to make a lambic basket. Didn't read too much, but it looks like you could get some info from this site:

http://handwovenlife.blogspot.com/2009/10/shout-out-to-all-basket-weavers.html

I hope that helps, I hope it's on topic, and I hope it removes my name from the ********* list......actually, I could care less, but there's the info I got for you. I do actually hope it helps.

If you can get a good price on them I'd take one or two.

If that makes me a fruit cake I can live with it.

sorry all, have been offline for family matters so apparently I missed out on a whole bunch of nonsense. I am a dude, in fact. Just changed my profile accordingly.
Thanks for the links and responses. Personally, I like the ones with handles better as they are easier to pour from. I have found that basket-makers in the US want crazy money for these baskets. I would be getting them from China and visiting directly with the company making them. But China is attempting to bring up the wages of the production class so manufacturing is becoming more expensive. Still relatively cheap but they no longer want to be known as the place to make all your tiny trinkets for nothing.
This is not to pour wort through and innoculate. Pictures are found via the survey link. It is nothing like a brewing stick.
There is a section of the beer community that is interested in these. If not you then move on please.
You could surely use a basket like this for storage but, yes, if would be burdensome and take up large amount of space. Primary use is for display/drinking from. Again it has a purpose and carries tradition with it...for some people.
I appreciate the responses so far. If you are interested in one of these, please fill out the survey so I can keep track of numbers.

This sounds like more a group buy to me. Isn't that not allowed in the classified's section? Granted, you haven't made an offer to sell yet, but it sounds like this is more a business venture than an incidental sale.

I'm down for 1-3 depending on price. I did your survey linked either here or at one of the beer ratings sites. As he said this is not a basket used for mashing lambics or as a inoculation belt. It's just a basket to help you pour the beer and leave all the bitter autolysed yeast behind in the bottle. If I knew I was going to get ready to drink a bottle of my sour beer I'd place it in a basket a day or two ahead of time and then throw it in the fridge in the basket. That would allow the yeast to collect in the small area of the bottom bottle corner. That way when you're pouring the beer off you're not pouring across the whole yeast covered bottom instead the yeast surface area is greatly reduced in the bottle. This minimizes the yeast from getting in your glass which can have an impact on the flavor of the beer.

Back