LalBrew Nottingham Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunkage

Reaction score
Just pitched 11.5g in about 5.5 gallons of 1.056 OG English Pale ale, the wort was around 68 as I pitched it but the ambient room temp is anywhere from 63-64 degrees. Is this an okay temperature to ferment this yeast, even if it crawls up to near 70 from activity the first few days?

Highest I’ve gone with notty was about 67f. I’ve always had luck with notty being clean across the temperature spectrum, but it might throw some esters at 70+. It’s super clean low to mid 60s, though.

Nottingham is rather clean when compared with other English yeast. It can also ferment ( at least my experience across a few dozens batchs ) higher than 70F without throwing off flavours, etc. And you should be welcoming esters in beer, if you're lucky anough to coax it out of dry Nottingham.

Nottingham is really really boring and mutes hops. So depending on what you are after, this might be the best or the worst.

For a typical English beer, I would expect English esters. Notty won't provide these unfortunately, but your beer can still be s nice beer, so don't get me wrong.

If you want something really bri'ish, try verdant IPA yeast next time. This yeast it just incredibly full of English flavour and it's a dry yeast as well.

Notty rocks the world. Flocs like putty and brews consistent product anywhere in the 60s or 70s F. From pales to porters to stouts. If I want funny yeast flavors I'll brew something Belgian with BE-256. Saisons - it's Belle Saison or BE-134. Wheat WB-06. If I want loud hops, it's US-05. Anything else... Notty.

Back