Lalbrew CBC-1 usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Architect-Dave

Architect & Fledgling Home Brewer (5-Mana Brewing)
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I created two beers that are flat. Both beers I had fined with gelatin. I was advised to use CBC-1 conditioning yeast when bottling those beers because the yeast used initially was a high flocculating yeast and the gelatin did a number on the remaining yeast. I have used CDC-1 on a few high gravity beers for the conditioning and I know it works. However, an 11 gram package will be good for about 5 batches of beer conditioning.

Once opened, can I vacuum seal the rest of the yeast in the existing pouch (I would add the pouch to a small vacuum sealed bag and add an oxygen absorber and store in the fridge)? I do not want to use 1/5th of the pack and throw it away when I am done making just one batch.

Once opened, can I vacuum seal the rest of the yeast in the existing pouch (I would add the pouch to a small vacuum sealed bag and add an oxygen absorber and store in the fridge)? I do not want to use 1/5th of the pack and throw it away when I am done making just one batch.
That should work.

FWIW, I have a partial package of CBC-1 that I've been slowly using over past couple of months. The
"short and shoddy" storage technique is close it tightly with a rubber band and put it back in the fridge.

That should work.

FWIW, I have a partial package of CBC-1 that I've been slowly using over past couple of months. The
"short and shoddy" storage technique is close it tightly with a rubber band and put it back in the fridge.
thanks - good to know. Do you use the typical 2-grams per 5 gallon batch or do you calculate it?

I've come across stories of people adding it to the bottling bucket.
Yes - that is what I have done before. However, I have two batches I need to add to the already bottled beer. They say to add a pinch with a sanitized tweezer and recap the bottle. I have no idea what a ‘pinch’ in this case is. But normally, I would rehydrate and add to the bottling bucket.

Yes - that is what I have done before. However, I have two batches I need to add to the already bottled beer. They say to add a pinch with a sanitized tweezer and recap the bottle. I have no idea what a ‘pinch’ in this case is. But normally, I would rehydrate and add to the bottling bucket.
I have used CBC-1 a few times with different methods. In a bottling bucket I added 1 g per gallon of wort. It seemed to work fine (even if I learned afterward that I could have used less). I have also rehydrated and added a 1 ml addition into bottles. That seems to work fine. I have also tried the "sprinkle a couple grains into each bottle" approach. Again, that seemed to work fine.

I've come across stories of people adding it to the bottling bucket.
I brew 5+ gallon batches of BelgianAles (higher gravity) and I add a full pack of hydrated CBC-1 to my bottling bucket and priming sugar with great results. Maybe I should save e few bucks and split up the pack.

Back