In praise of CBC-1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Truth be told, the REAL reason I wanted to learn how to homebrew, was to be able to make my own tasty imperial stouts for $1/bottle, rather than store-bought $4+/bottle!

In pursuit of that goal, I made two, mostly failed imperial stouts. Failed in the sense that they still have zero carbonation even 6+ months after bottling.

Made a third batch, finished at 9.5% abv, decided to bourbonize it up to 10.sumpin'% abv (2 oz Elijah Craig PER GALLON of beer), but this time, bottled with CBC-1 yeast. Anyways, at 3 weeks(!), the beer is perfectly carbonated, and tasting daaaaayyyuuuuum fine, despite still having a pretty intense hop-burn.

but this time, bottled with CBC-1 yeast. Anyways, at 3 weeks(!), the beer is perfectly carbonated, and tasting daaaaayyyuuuuum fine

Using fresh yeast when bottle conditioning isn't free, but it does help ensure the bottles get carbonated.

As for time frame, I'm not surprised by the results you are seeing.

Recently, with some of my normal strength (non-NEIPA) batches, I have tried bottle conditioning warm (~75F) with CBC-1. Early results show the bottles are carbonated in about a week. Note that batch sizes are small and I can store the bottles in a fridge (my 1st line of defense against the beer going stale).

Back