Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjr24

Reaction score
So guys its been two weeks into my brewing of my first lage, and during the weekend I was gone, and my fridge went haywire and froze my beer is there anything I can do or is it pretty much all ruined.

Might not be damaged at all. In NZ a few years back they patented a process wherein lagering beer was frozen (just) and some of the ice/slush removed from the lagering tank. Turns out some of the nastier stuff in lagering beer tends to be concentrated in that slush and the resulting beer was smoother (and a bit more alcohilic). As I recall there was an 'Ice Beer' craze at about that time.

So leave it alone (you could taste it I guess) and see how it turns out.

OK. I kind of figured there might have been someone who tried this should I keep it frozen or let it start to thaw a bit the only thing I'm worried about here I guess is the amount of water that is gonna come from the freezing process.

John Palmer talks in How To Brew about how he froze a lager. Thaw it out, it'll be fine.

Back