Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-d

Reaction score
I've always brewed ales. I want to try a lager. Is the lagering process merely cold conditioning beer after primary fermentation is complete. Thanks!

I've always brewed ales. I want to try a lager. Is the lagering process merely cold conditioning beer after primary fermentation is complete. Thanks!

Yep. After fermentation is complete, transfer to secondary and drop the temp to about 34℉, and let it set.

Not exactly. Primary fermentation is carried out under lower temperatures. Generally 48* - 55* until 90% complete. At that point the the tempreature is gradually raised to 65* - 70* for a diacetyl rest for 36 to 48 hours to allow the yeast to clean up any diacetyl or other off flavors present.
Then the beer should be racked to a secondary and moved into temperatures of 33* - 40* for an extended lagering phase. 4 weeks is OK, 6 to 8 weeks is better for clearing.
I typically lager for 8 weeks. Makes crystal clear beer.

Both are correct, mblanks is a bit more specific.

True "lagering" is just the act of chilling it to near freezing for several weeks as Blueline said..but to actually get there you have to ferment wort using lager yeast in the low 50's.

Can you conduct the lagering phase in a keg that is purged with CO2 but not under pressure?

Yes, but you'll want to make sure there's enough pressure in the keg to seat the lid. If there's no oxygen coming in, you can lager at cold temps for a long time.

Yes, but you'll want to make sure there's enough pressure in the keg to seat the lid. If there's no oxygen coming in, you can lager at cold temps for a long time.

Thanks. I am planning to brew my first lager soon and did not want to have to tie up my fermentation chamber for the whole time. I have a nice extra fridge where I store my kegs that don't fit in my kegerator. I can lager in there with ease.

Back