Lagering under pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBD

Siamese Brewer
Reaction score
Have you guys ever noticed any difference when lagering beers under-pressure and without?

On my last batch of regular brown ale (US-05, no finings, NOTHING), I filled up 4 kegs from my conical and transferred them to my keezer to be carbonated (temp was 0c). I forgot to hook up one keg to the CO2 and to my surprise after about 2 weeks, that particular keg is DIAMOND bright as opposed to the other 3. :mug:

Any explanations? Is it possible the pressure stressed the yeast for proper lagering/condition processes?

That's interesting. I always cold crash the primary before transferring to a keg, so I never thought about carbonating before clearing.
I suppose carbonated beer somehow holds on to whatever makes beer cloudy/hazy? I did a quick google search but couldn't find anything about this.

My guess is that your clear keg was at the top and had dropped clear before the others.

I've noticed no difference in clearing time between under pressure and not.

Also ale yeasts won't "lager" under the common sense of the word, just go dormant.

Latest posts

Back