Lagering Kolsch - starting to freeze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Well after a week and a half in my 20-25 degree garage by 5.1% ABV kolsch is finally starting to get a very thin layer of ice on the top of it. Not freezing solid by any means but a very thin ice skin has formed.

I am wondering if I should leave this beer out there for the rest of what was going to be a two week period, or if I should bring it in...bring it up to temp and bottle it.

1.051 OG
1.011 FG

2 weeks primary
1.5 weeks secondary at 25 degrees

if this small amount of ice will have no consequence I will leave it, but I certainly need viable yeast at bottling and I don't want off flavors.

Put a blanket over it. The heat from the ground, although minimal, will keep it liquid. The frozen beer does contain yeast. Dead yeast can get a smell. Probably not a concern if it is just a layer, but I'd still throw the blanket over it.

Thanks for the advice. I already had it covered in blankets. The temperature is finally above zero today in ND so I think my ice woes are over for now. I will be bottling this brew on wednesday so I will let everybody know how things turned out in about a month when I drink one.

I would say give it a taste and bottle it. If it is a true Koelsch then it isn’t meant to sit around for extended aging.

I bottled it yesterday and the beer is fine...and delicious.

I used glass carboy for primary, letting it go for two weeks at 62-64 degrees. I then cold crashed it in my garage for 11 days at 20-25 degrees.....icing up the last day or two on the top inch or so. Just kind of slushy.

I let the ice melt, primed and bottled. I am going to let this age at 67 degrees until super bowl sunday. I am assuming all 51 bottles will be consumed by thirsty football fans. they better appreciate the effort!

I was suprised at how nice and smooth it was with 30 IBU's of tradition hops. Never used them before.

I wish I had a picture to post...crystal clear and straw colored.

Most Koelsch is lagered yes, but it is usually consumed within two months of being brewed. At least in Cologne it is as far as I know.

Back