Lagering Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dokken5

Reaction score
OK, so I live in Arizona and most of the time the temps here are not conducive to beer making. Even inside you cant keep the temps below 75 so I decided to build a lagering/fermentation chamber. I didn't want to spend money on this project so I started collecting scrap lumber to build it with. One afternoon I was on Craigslist in the free section and there was an ad for free lumber. Turns out there were tearing down a Halloween haunted house and had huge panels of Styrofoam walls used to make it look like a castle. They also had several sheets of brand new untouched Styrofoam. Paydirt!! So this is dual layered and yes, its kind of cheap looking, but it holds temp great, and for the most part it was free.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Love the Transylvanian castle exterior. Great build man!

Just curious though, are all those PC fans on the AC unit for warming using outside air?

Love the Transylvanian castle exterior. Great build man!

Just curious though, are all those PC fans on the AC unit for warming using outside air?

No, I have the A/C unit on a temp controller, so when the power is cut to the unit, it has no fans running. I wanted to have air moving around in the chamber and when I am running it at 40 or lower I wanted air to be moving through the cooler coils so that it wouldn't freeze over.

That's a great recycle project with a greater background story about the haunted house. Did you insulate the bottom as good as the rest? I imagine that you did since it holds Temps but that would be my only suggestion.

The bottom is done as well. Even better. It was actually where I started. I didn't really intend to use the stone stuff on the outside, but I cut a piece for the bottom and it looked pretty cool so I did the rest of it that way.

Right now its holding about 40 gallons of beer, but at the end of the summer it is going to get a set of wheels so that I can move it around.

Latest posts

Back