Lager won't start fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weez

Reaction score
Pitched yeast on a lager 52 hours ago. Used Wyeast 2035. Pitched at a high temp 74. SG 1.072. Current temp is 52. Haven't taken a gravity reading but there is no action in the air lock. Did not use a starter. I am doing a variation on the Dog Fish Head Imperial IPA which had a SG of 1.089. No starter was called for.... thoughts?

1) You should have used a starter, and a big one at that.

2) You should get another packet of yeast, create an ~2L starter on a stirplate and pitch it. You'll probably have time to chill/decant if you want.

3) You haven't given enough time for slow, cold yeast to start doing what they're supposed to, but you've started them off on the wrong foot by not providing a large enough population to COMPLETE fermentation.

You still have plenty of time to get this batch off on the right foot. Even the 2L starter plus your original smackpack doesn't quite reach the yeast population you should have pitched (according to yeastcalc). IMO

Wow! you way under pitched. Check out yeastcalc.com or mr.malty for an accurate idea on pitching rates for lagers. You might be able to throw in some dry Fermentis saflager 34/70 (2 packs at least) if you don't want to buy another Wyeast and build it up with a 2L starter. You have not given enough time either for fermentation to start showing signs in a lager. Mine can take 3-4 days to show signs in the airlock.

Yeah, dido above advice. I'd go with the two packs of dry yeast just to get it in there and get it moving.

You got two things working against you: 1) any big beer with a Wyeast or White labs yeast will need a starter and 2) any lager of any size will need a starter to get enough yeast to work through cold fermentation. So you've got the double wammy working against you right now. No big deal, you live and learn, I'd pitch the dry yeast to get it moving quickly. Could still be totally fine.

I had a 7L starter in a smaller (1.061) lager and granted, pitched at 58 vs. 74, but still saw zero activity in the airlock, ever. Yet, on first gravity test not even a week in the beer was 50% to FG.

If you do a starter, pitch it at high kraeusen, better chance that will kick start the beer. Also re-aerate or oxygenate, there's no o2 left in a several day old wort.

As time was of the essence I picked up some dry yeast Saflager S-23 (2 packs) and pitched it Wednesday night. Came home from work Thursday and saw action in the airlock. Was going to do a yeast starter but the shop was out of liquid. Hopefully this was salvaged.

Back