Lager using 5kg of the same grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
Hi all

My LHBS has good deals on 5kg bags of crushed malted grain.
Either NZ Pilsner, UK pale ale, or Marris Otter Pale Ale.
I also have about 250g of light crystal malt grain left over from my last batch and a freezer full of all sorts of hops - Hallertau, goldings, saaz etc.

I'd like to make a simple lager to drink in summer (6 months away) by only buying the 5kg bag of grain.

I've been browsing through the lager recipies on this site but they don't get that simple.

Can someone please suggest a recipe for this and your opinions on whether this idea is good or bad?

Thanks

5kg NZ Pils

28g Hallertau @60m
14g Saaz @ 5m

A nice Pils yeast, like "Wyeast Labs Czech Pilsner Lager 2278"

Depending on taste and the AA% of the Hallertau, you might want to bump that up a bit.

You will wind up with a nice, light lager.

Thanks Cap'n
That sounds delicious.

TO THE HOME BREW STORE!!!

5kg NZ Pils

28g Hallertau @60m
14g Saaz @ 5m

A nice Pils yeast, like "Wyeast Labs Czech Pilsner Lager 2278"

Depending on taste and the AA% of the Hallertau, you might want to bump that up a bit.

You will wind up with a nice, light lager.

Sorry to muddle things up but I just did an inventory on my hop supply.
90g NZ B Saaz (Alpha 8.0)
60g Styrian Golding (Alpha 5.5)
45g UK Golding (Alpha 5.1)
25g Northern Brewer (Alpha 8.0)
25g Cascade (Alpha 5.2)
15g NZ Hallertau (No AA on label but labelled as "Aroma")

All hops have been in the freezer for 1-2 years, so have lost some AA.

It seems like I have aroma hops in bittering proportins and bittering hops in aroma proportions.

I've been looking for a way to substitute what hops to use for the ones listed by Captain Kirks by using the hop guide listed on this site, but I'm worried I might muck it up.
Can someone please suggest what amounts of my hops to use for this lager recipe?

I think I'll throw in the 15g or Hallertau, then about 15-20g of Northern brewer. After all, they'll end up just adding bitterness from the 60 min boil, not flavour.

The hops should have lost some bitterness as they're quite old, so I'll at 35g for bittering in total I think.

Back