Lager temperature help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannost

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my first lager but have a question
My yeast, white labs German lager yeast wlp830 lists the temperature range at 50-55. Is that just primary or should I hold
Layering to that temp also? I heard you want to lager at colder temps. What about a D-rest temp?

Thanks for any help

Yes, just for the primary, towards the end of the primary raise it for the D-rest to maybe 60-65º. Lagering should be done just above freezing. Question, have you or are you going to do a yeast starter? Lagers need a lot of healthy yeast.

jafo28 is right about the starter, i always do a 2-3L starter, also about lagering after fermentation is complete i do that at around 4-5c for about 4-5 weeks and always turns out.

Great, thanks. And yes I am making a starter. I will build it up for a few days. I do that for nearly all of my beers unless I am using a previous yeast cake.

Also, if I carbonate it does that stop the lagering process, or will it continue to get better? I am brewing a maibock and would like to have it for may 1st, but that only gives me about 6 weeks. Will I ruin it by tapping that soon?

Great, thanks. And yes I am making a starter. I will build it up for a few days. I do that for nearly all of my beers unless I am using a previous yeast cake.

Also, if I carbonate it does that stop the lagering process, or will it continue to get better? I am brewing a maibock and would like to have it for may 1st, but that only gives me about 6 weeks. Will I ruin it by tapping that soon?

No carbonation will not stop anything, as far as i know, the reson for lagering is to age the word Lager means in German to store so when u keged or bottled you then lager. As far as tapping to soon hmmm it will be ok but beer gets better with time as you know

Thanks again

Another question popped up. Maybe this is obvious, but for a lager yeast starter i guess I should pitch and keep the starter at 50-55 degrees?

The white labs vial has the same info as every other vial and says to pitch at 70

You can ferment the starter at room temp, then get it in the fridge for 24-36 hours. Then you want to decant the starter wort prior to pitching to avoid off flavors.

Thanks again

Another question popped up. Maybe this is obvious, but for a lager yeast starter i guess I should pitch and keep the starter at 50-55 degrees?

The white labs vial has the same info as every other vial and says to pitch at 70

I ferment my lager starters at or close to the temp I'm fermenting my batch. Around 52 degrees.

Back