Lager tastes sour at start of lagering - infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhan

Reaction score
I just racked my lager to a secondary fermenter to lager it after doing a d-rest. SG is 1014.

I gave it a taste - the first time I've tried tasting one of my brews along the way - and it was sour.

Has it gone bad? I've had lots of brews get infected in the past, although I've been getting more and more thorough with my cleaning and sanitation processes.

Or is the sourness I'm tasting in fact just bitterness from my hops (I only used a couple of teaspoons of hop pellets in a 10L (~3 gallon) batch)?

Does lager usually taste sour before it's been lagered and primed?

Any indication of what's going on would be greatly appreciated!

Unless it smells and tastes distinctly of yogurt or vinegar, it's probably fine. Green beer is often sour-tasting. Beer has a low (acidic) pH by nature.

You should probably be able to tell the difference between hop bitterness and infectious sourness. Unless it's uber-bad, give the lagering a shot. It can do amazing things.

All that suspended yeast and stuff that lagering takes care of, that's probably what you are tasting. Mine do taste a bit sour when still so yeasty. You're fine for now I'd think :)

Latest posts

Back