Lager Starter - What's more efficient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qoheleth

Reaction score
Next Friday I'm brewing up 5 gallons of Jamil's Bohemian Pilsner, and I have a 2L starter of Wyeast 2001 spinning away in a 2L flask on my stir plate. I'm debating between two different options for stepping up my yeast and would like advice from people who've done it before.

Option 1: Cold crash the 2L, decant the spent wort, add 2L(ish) of fresh starter wort to the slurry, continue to spin away.

Option 2: Abandon the stir plate, transfer the whole 2L of starter to a 1 gallon jug and add 2L(ish) of additional wort.

(I guess a third option would be to cold crash, decant, transfer the slurry to the gallon jug and fill it up with new starter wort...)

I've read posts from people who've done both option 1 and option 2, but I'm wondering what's most efficient - staying on the stir plate with a fresh 2L of wort, or stepping up the entire volume in a gallon jug no longer using the stir plate? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

According to Jamil, you get the best growth factor on the stir plate, so I'd always lean towards option 1 - you'd be more likely to get a better cell count that way.

Thanks, osagedr. This is actually why I started the starter this early, but then I started to second guess my reasoning. Great to get advice from the more experienced crowd. Cheers.

Back