Lager Recipe With Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellgoats

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a partial extract recipe for a European pilsner that I am thinking about doing as an ale instead of a lager. The reason being, I am not equipped to lager beer properly, but would like to brew something similar in style using ale yeast. Ill be subbing Safale US05 dry into the following recipe:

Grain Bill:
3.3 lb. Pilsen LME
2 lb. Pilsen DME
12 oz. Pilsen malt
8 oz. Carapils

HOPS
.5 oz. Bittering- undecided
.75 oz. Flavoring-undecided
.25 oz. Aroma- undecided

Any tips, suggestions, substitutes to brew this as an ale? I'm just after a crisp session style beer with Euro-pils characteristics less the lagering which I do understand contributes greatly to the style. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Treat it as you would any other brew. It's just that simple. You don't need to change any techniques.

I did an OctoberFest last year as an ale, using a recipe from someone in my HB club, and it came out great. The only thing we did different was the yeast. He lagered it, and I used the Wyeast German Ale yeast at as cool a temp as I could manage. Personally, I liked mine better.

Any tips, suggestions, substitutes to brew this as an ale? I'm just after a crisp session style beer with Euro-pils characteristics less the lagering which I do understand contributes greatly to the style. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

The 12oz of pilsner malt seems kind of pointless to me, I would just up the extract. Ferment in the low 60's and you'll end up with a nice blond ale. Clean for an ale, but will not approach anything resembling a true lager.

Like kjung said, use something like German Ale yeast, or even Kolsch yeast and ferment as cool as you can. It won't be a lager, but you'll get a nice, clean, crisp light ale, which I'm guessing is what you're shooting for.

Hi Guys

I have a partial extract recipe for a European pilsner that I am thinking about doing as an ale instead of a lager. The reason being, I am not equipped to lager beer properly, but would like to brew something similar in style using ale yeast. Ill be subbing Safale US05 dry into the following recipe:

Grain Bill:
3.3 lb. Pilsen LME
2 lb. Pilsen DME
12 oz. Pilsen malt
8 oz. Carapils

HOPS
.5 oz. Bittering- undecided
.75 oz. Flavoring-undecided
.25 oz. Aroma- undecided

Use WLP810, San Francisco Lager yeast, it performs very well at 60F and will be more "lager-like" at that temp than an ale yeast. This is the "Anchor Steam" strain used for warmer weather lagers. Wyeast has a similar strain; 2112 California Lager, Wyeast claims good results up to 68F.

What are you planning on doing w/the pilsen malt? If you are just going to steep it like crystal or something, you'll likely get a kettle full of starchy haze. that malt needs to be mashed; unless you can do a proper mash (at a specific temperature and water/grist ratio) I would suggest just going with all extract.

(I think the CaraPils is OK to steep but I can't remember for sure).

Anyhow all the fermentation suggestions look fine to me. Any of them should make a very tasty beer, though none quite like a lager.

Edit: Just noticed you said "partial extract recipe." I assume that means partial mash and you have that dialed in. Disregard my first paragraph. And actually now my post has basically no content, so just ignore the whole thing. Carry on.

Back