Lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supergus

Reaction score
I have a lager I brewed a month ago. I went 2 weeks primary, 2 days diacetyl rest, and now i'm on week 2 of lagering in a secondary. I took a bottle's worth off a week ago, added a carbonation drop, let it sit at room temp, chilled it for a day. When I tried the sample yesterday, I had the distinct flavor of diacetyl (butter-ey flavor)
I took a small sample straight from the secondary, and no diacetyl flavor. Have any of you had this issue before? I am guessing it must be from the carb drop, but I have never had this issue before. (although this is my first lager attempt)

I have a lager I brewed a month ago. I went 2 weeks primary, 2 days diacetyl rest, and now i'm on week 2 of lagering in a secondary. I took a bottle's worth off a week ago, added a carbonation drop, let it sit at room temp, chilled it for a day. When I tried the sample yesterday, I had the distinct flavor of diacetyl (butter-ey flavor)
I took a small sample straight from the secondary, and no diacetyl flavor. Have any of you had this issue before? I am guessing it must be from the carb drop, but I have never had this issue before. (although this is my first lager attempt)

Did you take any samples before bottling to see if there was any diacetyl then?. D-rests are less effective if you let the beer reach terminal gravity (likely after 14 days) before ramping up to d-rest temps. Diacetyl can also come from certain infections. And also diacetly is much more obvious when the beer is warmer. Any chance your bottle and secondary samples were warmer and colder respectively?

I finally had time to thief off another sample tonight, I let it warm up a little, and tasted no diacetyl. I did do the rest after fermentation was mostly done. (Learned my lesson there)
I will just let it lager a few more weeks and see where it goes from there.

Thanks for the advice and tips, I'm sure my next lager will be better.

Back